Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing area lighting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-area-lighting-t35201.html)

jacee kay 01-26-2010 06:19 PM

my DH put in track lighting for me in my room. I have them set at each place that I use, cutting ,sewing, over my ironing board and pointing toward my design wall. They are great.

craftiladi 01-26-2010 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
Well, I have a window on my right. On a sunny day it is great. Funny thing though, it does not help much at night.......... :D

lol yes I have that same problem and gosh here I rearranged the whole rm so i could sew by the window...lol

Gramof6 01-26-2010 07:08 PM

I have a 4ft florescent light, a floor Ott light & a ceiling fan with 4 lights in it. I use the daylight type bulbs in all of them except the Ott light.

fireworkslover 01-26-2010 09:02 PM

I have 2 Ott- lites. One sits on my table behind my sewing machine. I can bend it over my machine at night to help me see where I'm sewing or I can bend it up and turn it around to shine on my design wall. This one came with a clamp to attach to a table, but I use the base instead. I also have a floor Ott-Lite sitting on a filing box (to make it high enough), which shines over my ironing board/table. I bought these both over 10yrs. ago and that was before there were knock-off brands available at dept. stores. like Shopko and Wal Mart. I've not had to replace either's light bulb yet and they are on a lot, all year 'round.

fireworkslover 01-26-2010 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by craftiladi

Originally Posted by Boston1954
Well, I have a window on my right. On a sunny day it is great. Funny thing though, it does not help much at night.......... :D

lol yes I have that same problem and gosh here I rearranged the whole rm so i could sew by the window...lol

I too have a window to my right, as I sit at my sewing machine. Much of my sewing happens at night too, since I'm at work when the sun is shining. lol

butterflywing 01-26-2010 09:08 PM

i have a 3' double florescent over my cutting/ironing table, and another one over the area with 3 machines. in the other room i have another one over my ma. i have an ott table lamp on the desk for small jobs. it sounds like a lot, but with 3 machines and a big table in one room and the mid-arm in the other room and virtually no windows at all, i really need them, and could actually use more light. there's never enough light, is there? if i got another free-standing light, i would try a knockoff of the ott.

eparys 01-27-2010 04:04 AM

Up to now, I had two ceiling fixtures and two Ott lights (one floor with a magnifier and the other - the flip top table version purchased at JoAnns when on sale )

I have just purchased a longarm, and DH ordered track lights to redo the ceiling fixtures and lots of lights. My two Ott lights are going nowhere - I love them esp the floor one for hand sewing.

MamaBear61 01-27-2010 04:43 AM

With the Ott lights on sale at 50% off $99-149 for the floor models are the knock-offs any cheaper than that? I know that the one I saw and Len's Mills was also $99, but I haven't been to Walmart to check pricing there

Quilt Mom 01-27-2010 04:59 AM

I found knock-off daylight lamps at Menard's (a construction warehouse) for $15.00 at one point, but do not know if they are still available. I would suggest checking. Sometimes you can find bargains in the most unlikely places.

We snatched up a few of them, both floor and desk models, because my husband ties fishing flies, I like the lamps for sewing, and DD #1 is an artist. Plus, they seem to help with seasonal depression.

King's Daughter 01-27-2010 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
With the Ott lights on sale at 50% off $99-149 for the floor models are the knock-offs any cheaper than that? I know that the one I saw and Len's Mills was also $99, but I haven't been to Walmart to check pricing there

A few months ago, I got a floor model with the goose neck for $30 at Big Lots; they also had a desk model that was less than that - maybe $20. My room doesn't have any overhead lighting at all, and I really need it! I would love to have the full spectrum type lighting in an overhead fixture or in track lighting; does anyone know if they make anything like that?