Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing area lighting

I was just working on putting together a top in deep red and black the the lighting in my room stinks.
    What type of lighting do you use to supplement an overhead fixture. My ceiling light has those energy saver bulbs and I do not find that they give off a great light to work under

I use the Ott lights - I have one for the table top that has a magnifying glass (great for the ripping out part!) and I also have a floor OTT one that I move between my cutting table and ironing board and sewing machine. Also have another floor one at my cutting table. I agree with you - those new lights do not give off enough light for my old eyes!!!.

I use the ott lights and/or the knockoffs (which are just as good and cheaper!) One of my favorite "natural daylight" lamps came from walmart. I have one on my sewing table and one by the ironing board plus my hubby replaced my dinky 2 foot florescent light with a 4 foot one. It is not beautiful but definitely functional!! I think all told I only spent about $70.

LOL I bought a cheap drop light like the one men use in their shops, pluged it in over my work area......now is that cheap.....lol

Blog Entries
    I hated the energy lite bulbs...I am frugal and all for saving money but those bulbs in my sewing rm drove me crazy....I use Spectrum Light bulbs-love them...I also have a light attached to my table and its on a hinge/swing arm so I can move it as needed.

I have 2 Ott lamps in my room. One is a floor lamp that swivels over my area and another is a clip on that is at the end of my table. My sewing table is a 6 foot banquet table that I just love because of all the room.
    I do have an overhead light/ceiling fan, but that's just for extra lighting for ironing.
    I do agree...those new fangled lightbulbs are a pain when trying to do any sort of work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beachlady
    I use the Ott lights - I have one for the table top that has a magnifying glass (great for the ripping out part!) and I also have a floor OTT one that I move between my cutting table and ironing board and sewing machine. Also have another floor one at my cutting table. I agree with you - those new lights do not give off enough light for my old eyes!!!.
    Yes thats the one [ott table top light] I was trying to explain in my post....lol I love it.

A floor model OTT light would be a great asset to you. That is what I have and I love it!! You can often get them at Joann's for half price. I also have a portable OTT for wherever I am doing needlework.

Yes Mamaw, I just checked Joann's website and the Ott lights are on sale now. I am leaning towards the floor model thinking that I will be able to move it out by my hand quilting frame, which is in another room due to space requirments, or next to the chair that I use when knitting and watching TV, but the one that attachs to the sewing table could be very handy as well. But I need to invest in something and soon, just sewed two more sections for the quilt I am working on and my eyes are killing me

Well, I have a window on my right. On a sunny day it is great. Funny thing though, it does not help much at night.......... :D

my DH put in track lighting for me in my room. I have them set at each place that I use, cutting ,sewing, over my ironing board and pointing toward my design wall. They are great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954
    Well, I have a window on my right. On a sunny day it is great. Funny thing though, it does not help much at night.......... :D
    lol yes I have that same problem and gosh here I rearranged the whole rm so i could sew by the window...lol

I have a 4ft florescent light, a floor Ott light & a ceiling fan with 4 lights in it. I use the daylight type bulbs in all of them except the Ott light.

I have 2 Ott- lites. One sits on my table behind my sewing machine. I can bend it over my machine at night to help me see where I'm sewing or I can bend it up and turn it around to shine on my design wall. This one came with a clamp to attach to a table, but I use the base instead. I also have a floor Ott-Lite sitting on a filing box (to make it high enough), which shines over my ironing board/table. I bought these both over 10yrs. ago and that was before there were knock-off brands available at dept. stores. like Shopko and Wal Mart. I've not had to replace either's light bulb yet and they are on a lot, all year 'round.

Quote Originally Posted by craftiladi
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954
    lol yes I have that same problem and gosh here I rearranged the whole rm so i could sew by the window...lol
    I too have a window to my right, as I sit at my sewing machine. Much of my sewing happens at night too, since I'm at work when the sun is shining. lol

i have a 3' double florescent over my cutting/ironing table, and another one over the area with 3 machines. in the other room i have another one over my ma. i have an ott table lamp on the desk for small jobs. it sounds like a lot, but with 3 machines and a big table in one room and the mid-arm in the other room and virtually no windows at all, i really need them, and could actually use more light. there's never enough light, is there? if i got another free-standing light, i would try a knockoff of the ott.

Up to now, I had two ceiling fixtures and two Ott lights (one floor with a magnifier and the other - the flip top table version purchased at JoAnns when on sale )

I have just purchased a longarm, and DH ordered track lights to redo the ceiling fixtures and lots of lights. My two Ott lights are going nowhere - I love them esp the floor one for hand sewing.

With the Ott lights on sale at 50% off $99-149 for the floor models are the knock-offs any cheaper than that? I know that the one I saw and Len's Mills was also $99, but I haven't been to Walmart to check pricing there

I found knock-off daylight lamps at Menard's (a construction warehouse) for $15.00 at one point, but do not know if they are still available. I would suggest checking. Sometimes you can find bargains in the most unlikely places.

We snatched up a few of them, both floor and desk models, because my husband ties fishing flies, I like the lamps for sewing, and DD #1 is an artist. Plus, they seem to help with seasonal depression.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear61
    With the Ott lights on sale at 50% off $99-149 for the floor models are the knock-offs any cheaper than that? I know that the one I saw and Len's Mills was also $99, but I haven't been to Walmart to check pricing there
    A few months ago, I got a floor model with the goose neck for $30 at Big Lots; they also had a desk model that was less than that - maybe $20. My room doesn't have any overhead lighting at all, and I really need it! I would love to have the full spectrum type lighting in an overhead fixture or in track lighting; does anyone know if they make anything like that?

I have a roll around dazor light and I have a under the cabinet florescent light attached under a shelf just behind my machine, and under a cabinet over sewing room counter. I get daylight bulbs. I use 4 - 60W Reveal bulbs in over the dining table - colors look real. I won't use the curly bulbs, they don't give off enough light for anything. I'll let the non-quilters use those. I get presciption strong glasses to use when I need to see something small and got my daily glasses strengthtened and that helped too. I have no line bi-focals. I see just fine now. I also have a ceiling light too. I also have a florsecent light w/2 three foot bulbs over the machine. I am set up real good - in case someone needs the 3rd degree.

My ceiling fan has 3 lights and I have a 3 light floor lamp behind my machine. Plenty of light for me. Both cheap.

I have several Ott lights for sewing, and one by my chair in the living room for when I am doing handwork. You can get on the Ott Light website and sign up for their updates. They showcase new products at sale prices (I got 3 desk lamps for $19.95 each), plus they have sales on various lamps and they always have the bulbs.

My sewing/cutting area are lengthwise together, so I have two 5' double florescent ceiling lights for that area, and a 4' double florescent ceiling light over a comfy love seat for my hand sewing.

Lighting is extremely important. Buy what you can afford. If possible, get an ott light even if it's only a desk type lamp so that you can place your fabric under the light to see the true colors..otherwise you can take the fabric outside in daylight to see the true hues. I have photographed some of my quilts under different lights and was surprised to see the distortion of color. I prefer the daylight bulbs but they are more expensive.

I have overhead lighting and also an ott lite that I use when cutting my fabric. I bought one light in the beginning and as finances allowed bought more. I had slowed down on my sewing as I didnt' realize it was a lighting problem (and my age) Once I "fixed the lighting problem, I have once again enjoyed making quilts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast