Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing the binding on by machine... clarify? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-binding-machine-clarify-t114089.html)

watterstide 04-06-2011 05:20 PM

what size did you cut the binding? i do 2.5"
then after teh front is sewed on, i press it up and away fromt he quilt..all the way around.

*then i use elmers schoold glue for the back side, doing it in sections,and then press it down with iron/steam.

you can skip that step if you want to.

once the binding is pinned or clipped down..i turn the quilt over, and use the "stitch in the ditch" foot and run the stitch line down the original stitch on the front. i use a straight stitch.

it almost always catches the back all the way around. without it looking bad.

i can't hand stich anymore..carpel tunnel.. this is what works for me..if you need visual. i can take a few pictures for you..

dreamer2009 04-06-2011 05:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c85vo...eature=related

Mariposa 04-06-2011 05:28 PM

Cut your binding strips 2.25". Makes a difference! Mine still will show like that a bit, but most folks won't be looking that close. It bugs me more than them, so I'm working on that.......

watterstide 04-06-2011 05:31 PM

exactly how i do mine..thanks for the link!

barnbum 04-06-2011 05:36 PM

Ah---so I'm still supposed to sew the binding onto the front first, NOT the back! Then sew the back down FROM the FRONT. I had reversed those steps--but I thought I followed what Leah Day did.

I wish Ms. Burns had a part 2!! That is a great video--she cracks me up. The only thing I do as good as her is throw things on the floor. :lol:

Okay--potholder #2 I'll try this way tomorrow. Then I'll report in. Oh--I cut the bindings 2.5", but some I cut 2 3/8 just because....

Thanks!!!

GwynR 04-06-2011 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just did some quilts for my moms dogs this way. Instead of using a blanket stitch I used a decorative stitch. It looks like more decorative quilting! The dogs probably won't care though!

TonnieLoree 04-06-2011 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
Hi katier--
I just always use a 1/4" seam...so that's what I account for. But I don't know if that answers your question. :lol:

These potholders are very thick--batting, thinsulate, two fabric layers, plus the binding... so maybe that's why it's not lining up? They are trimmed up pretty well.

I think I'll finish the potholder this way--because no way do I want to sew them all by hand (like I did the last time! :roll: ). So--they'll just have to look goofy. :wink:

Goofy potholders are better than no potholders. Just burnt my hand today using a dishtowel to pull something out of a 450 degree oven. I think I said "ouch".

cutebuns 04-06-2011 08:14 PM

To machine the binding on all the way I cut 2.5" for quilts but 2-21/4 for smaller projects, I sew it to the back and fold it to the front fold it over and sew it down, If you snug it in it will fold over more, idealy it will be the same on the front to the back, you may have to play with the width a little to suit how you put it on.

When you sew to the back there is the seam to follow in the front, following the line you can fold the binding just past it to make sure it is covered.

To help with the mitered corners when you come to the corner, tuck the side you are sewing in flat and have the corner out, use a small stick if you are to close and can't get your finger in there. it takes a bit of practice.

Prism99 04-06-2011 08:46 PM

That's not the way it's supposed to look when finished. Your binding needs to fold so that your second line of stitching is "in the ditch" or exactly on top of your first line of stitching (the stitching that initially secures the binding to the quilt). The binding should look essentially the same on both sides when you do this.

EasyPeezy 04-06-2011 08:46 PM

I do mine like Waterstide. I prefer to attach the binding to the front first
because I have better control on the corners. I can never get nice corners
on both front and back. So I choose my battle. ;)

Make a small practice piece with same batting that you will use for your quilt.
I think it helps to get that right width and stitch setting.