Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing the binding on by machine... clarify? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-binding-machine-clarify-t114089.html)

barnbum 04-06-2011 04:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I watched Leah Day do it and she makes it looks so easy, so, I have 15 potholders to bind and thought it'd be a great place to practice this technique.

I sewed the binding onto the back--check

I sewed the binding onto the front--check That was kind of fun! :-D

I worked the corners fine, but the front corners are not as nicely mitered as the back ones. but I've never had nicely mitered back corners. The corners weren't tacked down enough for me, so I just ran a straight stitch from the corner to the outside--check

So--the stitching used on the front shows on the back about 1/2" below the binding. It looks kind of weird to me. It's fine for a potholder, but I don't know if I'd want a quilt to have that line of stitching.

But--that's how it work, right?

Okay--edited to add photos....

front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180643[/ATTACH]

back--why is the stitching so far off?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180644[/ATTACH]

pollyjvan9 04-06-2011 04:25 PM

Sounds like the way I do it except if you fold the binding in half you will be able to sew almost exactly on the stitching line when you sew it down on the front.

mcdaniel023 04-06-2011 04:29 PM

Karla,
I do this a lot. I use the school glue to tack it to the front. If you fold it over so that it just past the seam line and sew near the edge you should be sewing on the back binding. The glue also helps me keep the corners mitered.

barnbum 04-06-2011 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
Sounds like the way I do it except if you fold the binding in half you will be able to sew almost exactly on the stitching line when you sew it down on the front.

Oh--I always fold it in half. I fogot to add that. :D

And Deb--I like the idea of holding the corners in place before I start, but it wasn't much of a problem... it's that line of stitching that I cannot ever see being where it's supposed to be.

katier825 04-06-2011 04:53 PM

When you fold it in half, are you accounting for the seam allowance? It looks like it's narrower on the back than the front. Do you trim your batting a bit larger than the edge of the quilt? If so, that plus the thickness of the batting might be taking up some of the space.

I haven't mastered it either...which is why I usually hand sew it to the back. ;)

barnbum 04-06-2011 05:04 PM

Hi katier--
I just always use a 1/4" seam...so that's what I account for. But I don't know if that answers your question. :lol:

These potholders are very thick--batting, thinsulate, two fabric layers, plus the binding... so maybe that's why it's not lining up? They are trimmed up pretty well.

I think I'll finish the potholder this way--because no way do I want to sew them all by hand (like I did the last time! :roll: ). So--they'll just have to look goofy. :wink:

katier825 04-06-2011 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
Hi katier--
I just always use a 1/4" seam...so that's what I account for. But I don't know if that answers your question. :lol:

These potholders are very thick--batting, thinsulate, two fabric layers, plus the binding... so maybe that's why it's not lining up? They are trimmed up pretty well.

I think I'll finish the potholder this way--because no way do I want to sew them all by hand (like I did the last time! :roll: ). So--they'll just have to look goofy. :wink:

I bet the thickness is the problem then. Not goofy, unique!

barnbum 04-06-2011 05:08 PM

Unique.. ahh--yes. I should add a dollar to the cost for that then!! :lol:

katier825 04-06-2011 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
Unique.. ahh--yes. I should add a dollar to the cost for that then!! :lol:

LOL I like the way you think!!!!!!!

Holice 04-06-2011 05:19 PM

it looks like you might need to cut your binding a little wider.