Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing with clothesline, new way to me, anyways (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-clothesline-new-way-me-anyways-t178219.html)

bookworm 02-07-2012 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 4944754)
That was my first thought, too

And mine. I think the wrapping way would take longer to wear though. Pretty though.

chris_quilts 02-07-2012 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by newestnana (Post 4948099)
I like this idea but also am concerned about the cost/labor, especially as a rug that would be walked on. However, it would be delightful in a placemat. Can anybody comment on the washability (considering the clothesline inside)?
I have had trouble finding the cotton clothesline called for in the bowl patterns...someone said Walmart but my local store doesn't carry it. I expect it to be rather costly at specialty shops.

I get mine at Dollar General or the like and it is 100% cotton.

Up North 02-07-2012 09:04 PM

Cloths line should wash nicely as it is usually left outside on the line anyway. It get's wet and dried all the time.

mmonohon 02-07-2012 09:09 PM

That looks so cool. I love to run my fingers over texture....perfect for me.

Kathy M 02-07-2012 10:05 PM

Very pretty.

sewbeadit 02-08-2012 01:17 AM

I think it looks beautiful, but would not use my Hoffman fabrics on it. Wonder if a heavier decorator type fabric would work for that and probably would last longer as well. I may give it a try too. I have some older decorator fabric I might give it a try.

grma33 02-08-2012 03:31 AM

I think I might try this.I started a rug years ago but ended up a ufo as I didn`t like the way it was going.
Wondering about using lite canvas or denim for the back would make it wear better?
Gale

grann of 6 02-08-2012 04:14 AM

Just remember that you are sewing several layers at one time, so if you start trying heavier fabric, you will also need a larger needle, like a denim needle or a leather needle. I think I might like to try one using the upholstery cording instead of clothesline. Another thing to think of when making one is shrinkage when laundering.

Geri B 02-08-2012 07:13 AM

sorry all, but at the cost of fabric these days....there is no way I am going to go thru all that work for a throw rug I don't think will last very long anyway, I can go to Walmart or Dollar store and pick up one..........better things to do with my fabric stash!!!!!!

grann of 6 02-08-2012 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 4954807)
sorry all, but at the cost of fabric these days....there is no way I am going to go thru all that work for a throw rug I don't think will last very long anyway, I can go to Walmart or Dollar store and pick up one..........better things to do with my fabric stash!!!!!!

I have to agree with you on this topic. I have too many WIPs (in my mind) that I can do. I can just see my great dane trying to fluff it up so she can take a nap on it; she ruins more rugs that way, with her toenails.