Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing in a cold basement, HELP! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-cold-basement-help-t202813.html)

grann of 6 10-11-2012 04:40 AM

I had my basement finished off about 10 years ago, into my sewing studio. I have laminate flooring that has a foam barrier under it, keeping the floor from getting real cold. He also insulated the walls thoroughly. And when I had the new furnace put in, I had them put a duct vent in that would heat (or cool) the entire room. It works wonderfully. I would not want a wood burning stove in a sewing room. The fabric will soak up the wood smell. I used to have one of those oil-filled heaters that I kept near me, but didn't like the oil smell it gave off. There are now ceramic heaters. Check with one of your home improvement stores, on what they think would be best for your situation.

Ccorazone 10-11-2012 04:45 AM

You can get one of those infra-red heaters. They have a thermostat to adjust the heat. My sister had one and it kept an area of about 500 sq.ft. plenty warm.

IBQLTN 10-11-2012 04:52 AM

I have a small electric heater for my office at work that has a temperature thermostat where you can set the temperature. I find I need it set at 72 degrees because everytime someone opens the front door my room fills with cold air. I got it at Big Lots and did not pay a fortune for it.

Pieces2 10-11-2012 04:53 AM

They make many portable heaters, just search the local stores to see what is available in your area.
Also placing a piece of carpet can help the floors. It is easy to insulate the walls as well, they make 4ft. x 8ft. X 1in. sheets of insulation that can be glued right to the concrete walls. The warmer, cozier you make it the more time you can spend quilting. :)

quiltmom04 10-11-2012 04:56 AM

I used to sew in the basement, too, and I would use one of those little square heaters under the sewing table, as it sort of trapped the heat under there, or sometimes I would put a heating pad on my lap or over the back of the sewing chair. Please remember to turn everything OFF when you are finished for the day!!

sparkys_mom 10-11-2012 05:15 AM

I use a small Vornado electric heater. It keeps a small room pretty toasty and it doesn't get hot to the touch - important if you have fur babies. I used a 20% coupon and bought it at Bed Bath and Beyond. Another thing you might consider is a heated floor mat like this one. http://www.floormat.com/heated-mats/...rmth-mats.html

QuiltE 10-11-2012 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6 (Post 5577514)
I had my basement finished off about 10 years ago, into my sewing studio. I have laminate flooring that has a foam barrier under it, keeping the floor from getting real cold. He also insulated the walls thoroughly. And when I had the new furnace put in, I had them put a duct vent in that would heat (or cool) the entire room. It works wonderfully. I would not want a wood burning stove in a sewing room. The fabric will soak up the wood smell. I used to have one of those oil-filled heaters that I kept near me, but didn't like the oil smell it gave off. There are now ceramic heaters. Check with one of your home improvement stores, on what they think would be best for your situation.

And being from the North Pole, Mrs. Santa must know how to keep warm!! :D

Scissor Queen 10-11-2012 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 (Post 5577561)
I used to sew in the basement, too, and I would use one of those little square heaters under the sewing table, as it sort of trapped the heat under there, or sometimes I would put a heating pad on my lap or over the back of the sewing chair. Please remember to turn everything OFF when you are finished for the day!!

I leave my oil radiator on all the time during the winter. It takes less energy to keep the space warm than it does to warm it up from cold every day. I suppose if you're only in your sewing room every once in a while you should turn things off but I'm in my room every day.

Caswews 10-11-2012 06:21 AM

In the winter time I use a small but tall heater in my sewing room. There is a huge industrial gas heater in there but it was there when we moved in and it stinks, so I prefer the small heater.

matraina 10-11-2012 06:33 AM

I don't sew in the basement but our condo has no basement and the sun room is such that this time of year, it's cold out there. We bought a tower heater. That might work for you, but I think it would depend on how big an area it has to heat.