Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing the edges of a quilt together before binding? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-edges-quilt-together-before-binding-t294016.html)

GEMRM 01-13-2018 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Garden Gnome (Post 7982287)
I have begun basting with a large stitch around the quilt edge before I start putting the binding on. It does keep the back in line, but occasionally I end up with a little pucker at the end of the binding process. (I bind by machine; can't hand sew anymore)
I think the pucker is because the binding is still a little stretchy, but the basted edge of the quilt is not stretchy any more. I might need to apply a little more tension to the binding when sewing it on.

If this happens most of the time when you're basting the entire quilt, try lessening the pressure on your presser foot/or lengthening your basting stitch.

bearisgray 01-13-2018 02:52 PM

i sew the layers together. i also baste the edges of my binding together.

that way, i only have "two" layers to align while attaching the binding.

Macybaby 01-13-2018 03:23 PM

no - in fact I discovered I have more problems if the edge is basted than open. I trim my quilt right after it comes off the LA (because I use the LA table to do it). But I machine bind, so I'm sewing the binding to the back.

I attribute a lot of my success to using a straight stitch machine with a narrow foot and narrow feed dogs. I had more problems when I used my swing needle machine before I bought the juki.

Jingle 01-13-2018 05:41 PM

I always baste using a long stitch around the quilt. Then I trim off excess and sew binding to back, flip and sew to front.

HettyB 01-14-2018 01:24 AM

Sometimes I trim then bind, while other times, I follow the same procedure as Prism99 but in both instances I sew a straight line of stitching all the way around in a bright contrasting coloured thread (that way I can see it – eyes are not what they used to be).

HettyB

quilterpurpledog 01-14-2018 04:09 AM

When I make a quilt I make sure the outer borders are sewn on squarely whether they are mitered or not. After I layer my quilt and baste it (I like the Elmer's school glue method) I stitch around the outer edge with a long stitch. This keeps the layers from separating while I quilt it. Then, it holds the layers together when I trim it. I am careful to use a large square ruler when doing the corners to be sure they stay square. This works well for me. I generally sew the binding on the back by hand.

Blackberry 01-14-2018 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 7982397)
I always baste using a long stitch around the quilt. Then I trim off excess and sew binding to back, flip and sew to front.

This is the way I do it also. Usually have no problems but sometimes there is a little pucker when finishing up sewing binding to quilt back.

Kitsie 01-14-2018 08:54 AM

Yes, doing that right now - I use a 3.5 or even 4.0 stitch length on my Pfaff domestic. That "one more step" is (to me) very important.

Austinite 01-14-2018 09:35 AM

I typically don't bother but I've occasionally serged around my quilt edges before to make my binding easier.

CanoePam 01-14-2018 09:54 PM

I cut the batting off my quilts by finishing g the edges with a serger before I put 5he binding on, it gives me a smooth solid edge.