Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine doesn't sew anymore (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-doesnt-sew-anymore-t20384.html)

bearisgray 05-21-2009 08:02 AM

Did you just fill a bobbin, and maybe not tighten the flywheel?

Sure hope it's a minor problem for your machine.

Good luck with your search.

MadQuilter 05-21-2009 08:33 AM

Are you sure there isn't a sew and vac kind of a store locally that can take a look at your machine. If you take your transformer, they should be able to check it.

I had a Singer and went to a Pfaff because of the built-in walking foot, needle down option and low bobbin indicator. Those were my must-haves as a quilter. LOVE my machine. Also have a Brother (low end) to lug around. But the Pfaff is definitely my work horse. But then, could you even buy a Pfaff (or other brand) in Germany that will run in the states, or do you expect to be oversees for a long time?

Tippy 05-21-2009 06:40 PM

I would definately go for the Pfaff. my mom bought one in 1953 and it still runs like a top.

stitchinMamaw 05-21-2009 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer
So I was in the middle of a quilted bag project (It's the one the GetaGamma offered to us on her blog) and my machine just kaputed out. I was at the part where you stipple the to halves. Got one done and the other is still waiting. It's a Singer Precision 7444 that my husband bought me just to get me started. He picked it out because I had no clue what I was looking for. He probably just seen that it was a sewing machine and paid for it. :?: Another dilema I face is that I'm stationed in Germany(for 10 more months) and the closest repair shop is an hour an a half away..--but my machine has an American plug not European. I'll put is back in the box and get it repair when I return to the states I guess. The machine turns on and all. It just won't sewing when you push the peddle. :cry: I tried to take it apart to see if it was a belt or something noticable in there, but couldn't pry the covering off. Ooh Gees, I have to buy another one, but should I stick with Singer or go for another brand? I have only known my Grams to own a sewing machine and it is a Singer. Picking a new sewing machine is harder that buying a car. Any suggestions?
Which ever I choose, hopefully the company ships to APO.

What is the name of the blog for the bag pattern ? Hope you get your machine going :D Annie

Jennifer 05-22-2009 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinMamaw

So I was in the middle of a quilted bag project (It's the one the GetaGamma offered to us on her blog) and my machine just kaputed out. I was at the part where you stipple the to halves. Got one done and the other is still waiting. It's a Singer Precision 7444 that my husband bought me just to get me started. He picked it out because I had no clue what I was looking for. He probably just seen that it was a sewing machine and paid for it. :?: Another dilema I face is that I'm stationed in Germany(for 10 more months) and the closest repair shop is an hour an a half away..--but my machine has an American plug not European. I'll put is back in the box and get it repair when I return to the states I guess. The machine turns on and all. It just won't sewing when you push the peddle. :cry: I tried to take it apart to see if it was a belt or something noticable in there, but couldn't pry the covering off. Ooh Gees, I have to buy another one, but should I stick with Singer or go for another brand? I have only known my Grams to own a sewing machine and it is a Singer. Picking a new sewing machine is harder that buying a car. Any suggestions?
Which ever I choose, hopefully the company ships to APO.

What is the name of the blog for the bag pattern ? Hope you get your machine going :D Annie

Geta posted in on the board a few weeks ago maybe. I comes together really fast.

Here's the link:
http://cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.co...ed-basket.html

stitchinMamaw 05-22-2009 05:52 AM

Thanks so much for the link . Beautiful bowls ! Annie

Yvonne 05-22-2009 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
If I had known anyone in Germany who could have gotten me a PFaff, I would have done so. As it is, I bought a new Pfaff 4 years ago and loved it so much I bought another one for piecing. Pfaffs are a wonderful machine and once you have sewn on one, you won't go back to Singer. Like someone said, "It isn't your grandmothers Singer". I would even trust a used Pfaff over many new machines of a different brand. Can you buy used Pfaffs there?

I'm sure you can. I just have to see where this Pfaff place is and see about getting one with an American plug.

My pfaff has a switch on the bottom of the machine for which power source you are using, American/European. Easy-peasy to switch!

Oops! I just saw where this was answered above. Shoulda read all the posts first. Well, just consider this a confirmation.

Quiltgranny 05-22-2009 03:00 PM

Hi Jennifer,

Is your machine possibly still under warranty? I would think so. If it is, and you take to a dealer that's not an authorized Singer dealer, would you be voiding the warranty? I don't know for sure.

Here's a link to the Singer Customer Support page online. Maybe they can help you.

http://www.singerco.com/support/

Good luck to you.

Karla

Jennifer 05-22-2009 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Hi Jennifer,

Is your machine possibly still under warranty? I would think so. If it is, and you take to a dealer that's not an authorized Singer dealer, would you be voiding the warranty? I don't know for sure.

Here's a link to the Singer Customer Support page online. Maybe they can help you.

http://www.singerco.com/support/

Good luck to you.

Karla

Thanks, this site is the first place I went. I wrote an email to the customer service center two days ago and have not heard anything yet. I was hoping that the audible beeping noise I hear when I push the foot peddle was a clue to whats wrong with it. Hopefully I hear something back.

Quiltgranny 05-22-2009 06:59 PM

Hi Jennifer,

Sorry you're having to wait so long for your reply from Singer. I understand how stressful it can be to have your machine not working properly. Right now, two of mine have issues. Hang in there.

Karla