Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Sewing machine doesn't sew anymore

  1. #1
    Junior Member Jennifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    201
    So I was in the middle of a quilted bag project (It's the one the GetaGamma offered to us on her blog) and my machine just kaputed out. I was at the part where you stipple the to halves. Got one done and the other is still waiting. It's a Singer Precision 7444 that my husband bought me just to get me started. He picked it out because I had no clue what I was looking for. He probably just seen that it was a sewing machine and paid for it. :?: Another dilema I face is that I'm stationed in Germany(for 10 more months) and the closest repair shop is an hour an a half away..--but my machine has an American plug not European. I'll put is back in the box and get it repair when I return to the states I guess. The machine turns on and all. It just won't sewing when you push the peddle. :cry: I tried to take it apart to see if it was a belt or something noticable in there, but couldn't pry the covering off. Ooh Gees, I have to buy another one, but should I stick with Singer or go for another brand? I have only known my Grams to own a sewing machine and it is a Singer. Picking a new sewing machine is harder that buying a car. Any suggestions?
    Which ever I choose, hopefully the company ships to APO.

  2. #2
    Super Member Yvonne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Humboldt County, California
    Posts
    1,734
    When my daughter and her husband were stationed in Germany she bought me a Pfaff sewing machine. She got a very good price and carried it home on one of her trips. I learned to sew on Singer machines and that was what I was using at the time. I still like that old singer but don't ask me to give up my pfaff! It is a wonderful machine. Check around and see what kind of a deal you can get. I can't remember where the kids were stationed but it was close to the pfaff plant.

  3. #3
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    Sounds like the clutch thingy on the wheel that disengages when you wind a bobbin. Mine did the same thing. I took the top off and at the wheel end I found where the wheel wasn't clicking back in place. Don't take the wheel off, it is set to mesh and you'll have a mess. I hope this helps.

  4. #4
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Sounds like the clutch thingy on the wheel that disengages when you wind a bobbin. Mine did the same thing. I took the top off and at the wheel end I found where the wheel wasn't clicking back in place. Don't take the wheel off, it is set to mesh and you'll have a mess. I hope this helps.
    That is exactly what I was thinking. I almost ruined the gears on one machine because I was gonna make that needle MOVE .... it happened that I looked up in time to see that the bobbin spindle was moved over to load a bobbin - - which is when I remembered that on that particular machine, the hard case cover moved the bobbin spindle every time you put the cover on. With some machines, you have to loosen the "middle" of the flywheel ... perhaps it got loosened and didn't get tightened back up. I have had one machine that had a part of the middle of that fly wheel that had to pushed in to engage the bobbin winder/disengage the needle - - sometimes, our best little helpers poke things, and golly gee! Things move! <g> ... whatever you do ... keep the machine and get it repaired ... my SIL was going to throw a machine away ... took it to the repairman ... and I have one of the finest drop in bobbin Kenmores they ever built ... and, it almost hit the dump!
    I don't know about your specific model, but I wouldn't think badly about singer until I knew for sure what is wrong ... singer has been doing this a long time and has a good reputation.

  5. #5
    PrettyKitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dudley, UK
    Posts
    911
    May be a problem with the electricity it is getting, if it is a US machine it is designed to operate on 120v, but the househoild current in Germany is 220v.

    I had the same problem whenI bought back a nice hi-fi I had bought in the US. I got a transformer for it, but it still gave up the ghost after a few months.

    Also when I worked on cruise ships my electrical items used to die quickly due to the fluctuating power. You could never have a mains powered alarm clock as the time would be too fast or too slow from the fluctuating power!

  6. #6
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,168
    Blog Entries
    3
    hmmmmm ... this sounds to me like an "opportunity". i'd go in search of a used machine purchased on the economy. then sell it before you leave for the states, or donate it to Youth Services.

    who knows? your search might lead you to other quilters in the area - or provide a chance to introduce quilting to some newbies. :-)

  7. #7
    reneebobby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    cleveland ohio
    Posts
    3,907
    I would talk to a pfaff dealer there and see if they can give you a deul connection (might be special order) all they have to do is put in a different fuse.

  8. #8
    Junior Member Jennifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne
    When my daughter and her husband were stationed in Germany she bought me a Pfaff sewing machine. She got a very good price and carried it home on one of her trips. I learned to sew on Singer machines and that was what I was using at the time. I still like that old singer but don't ask me to give up my pfaff! It is a wonderful machine. Check around and see what kind of a deal you can get. I can't remember where the kids were stationed but it was close to the pfaff plant.
    The Pfaff company is in Kaiserslautern, Germany and they have a big base there. Lucky for me it's only an hour away depending on how fast you drive. I'll see about making a trip there.

  9. #9
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    19,993
    Would the BX there have any machines?
    It's been over 20 yrs since I was in K-town. I remember it having some nice shopping areas, but wasn't into sewing at the time.

  10. #10
    Junior Member Jennifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Sounds like the clutch thingy on the wheel that disengages when you wind a bobbin. Mine did the same thing. I took the top off and at the wheel end I found where the wheel wasn't clicking back in place. Don't take the wheel off, it is set to mesh and you'll have a mess. I hope this helps.
    That is exactly what I was thinking. I almost ruined the gears on one machine because I was gonna make that needle MOVE .... it happened that I looked up in time to see that the bobbin spindle was moved over to load a bobbin - - which is when I remembered that on that particular machine, the hard case cover moved the bobbin spindle every time you put the cover on. With some machines, you have to loosen the "middle" of the flywheel ... perhaps it got loosened and didn't get tightened back up. I have had one machine that had a part of the middle of that fly wheel that had to pushed in to engage the bobbin winder/disengage the needle - - sometimes, our best little helpers poke things, and golly gee! Things move! <g> ... whatever you do ... keep the machine and get it repaired ... my SIL was going to throw a machine away ... took it to the repairman ... and I have one of the finest drop in bobbin Kenmores they ever built ... and, it almost hit the dump!
    I don't know about your specific model, but I wouldn't think badly about singer until I knew for sure what is wrong ... singer has been doing this a long time and has a good reputation.
    Oh, I'm definitely going to keep the machine. I've only had it a year. It'll just wait until I get back to the states and I'll take it to a repair shop. Everything seems fine with it until you go to sew and then nothing happens and you get the audible three or four beeps. I wish the manual had a bigger troubleshooting section and for the casing to come off a little easier. Bit she'll be set aside and I'll get another one.

  11. #11
    Junior Member Jennifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Would the BX there have any machines?
    It's been over 20 yrs since I was in K-town. I remember it having some nice shopping areas, but wasn't into sewing at the time.
    The Spangdahlem BX does have some. I think they carry the brother models that are only a hundred buck or so. I'll have to make the hour trip down to K-town and see what they have. They always have more variety and more stores off base.

  12. #12
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    19,993
    I'll bet if you go to the tailor shop and talk to the ladies there, they could direct you to a place nearby that could maybe fix your machine.

  13. #13
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Alturas, CA
    Posts
    8,412
    I'm sorry your machine isn't working. Personally, I would stay away from the new Singers. They aren't like your grandmother's Singer. Is it at all possible for you to take it to the closest repair shop? If so, at least you'll have an idea of what's wrong with it and can decide if you'll get it repaired, or if it's worth repairing. My 2 cents worth.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Kara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne
    When my daughter and her husband were stationed in Germany she bought me a Pfaff sewing machine. She got a very good price and carried it home on one of her trips. I learned to sew on Singer machines and that was what I was using at the time. I still like that old singer but don't ask me to give up my pfaff! It is a wonderful machine. Check around and see what kind of a deal you can get. I can't remember where the kids were stationed but it was close to the pfaff plant.

    Don't ask me to give up my Pfaff, either. I LOOOOOOVE it!!!
    And since you're in Germany... you may be able to get a great price on one.


  15. #15
    Super Member Tink's Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    chicago, IL
    Posts
    9,692
    Go online to the Singer site....or call the 800 # on the book for help from the source....it is possible that the machine overheated with the stippling...
    it may have stopped to prevent further damage. Try it again........

    otherwise, the flucuating power could be a BIG problem. Is the 7442 a computerized machine??? as you know, computers do not like power that isn't steady.

    Good Luck. :-) The motor may not be able to handle what you want to do with it. :)

  16. #16
    Junior Member Jennifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    If I had known anyone in Germany who could have gotten me a PFaff, I would have done so. As it is, I bought a new Pfaff 4 years ago and loved it so much I bought another one for piecing. Pfaffs are a wonderful machine and once you have sewn on one, you won't go back to Singer. Like someone said, "It isn't your grandmothers Singer". I would even trust a used Pfaff over many new machines of a different brand. Can you buy used Pfaffs there?
    I'm sure you can. I just have to see where this Pfaff place is and see about getting one with an American plug.

  17. #17
    Junior Member Jennifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    Go online to the Singer site....or call the 800 # on the book for help from the source....it is possible that the machine overheated with the stippling...
    it may have stopped to prevent further damage. Try it again........

    otherwise, the flucuating power could be a BIG problem. Is the 7442 a computerized machine??? as you know, computers do not like power that isn't steady.

    Good Luck. :-) The motor may not be able to handle what you want to do with it. :)
    I tried it several times since and nothing. It didn't feel hot or have a smell to it, but maybe stippling wasn't such a good idea on it. Although the stipple project was only 12 by 18 inches I think. So if it gave out over something small, I'm glad I didn't use it for the bigger project. I boxed the machine up in its original box and I'm off to buy a new one soon.

  18. #18
    Super Member omak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Washington State
    Posts
    6,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    Good- you will never be sorry when you own a Pfaff and they last forever. My service man told me it should last several life times if it is kept clean and serviced.
    If I were in your position, with your opportunity ... I would listen to the Pfaff people ... I thought Pfaff was made in Germany, but I wasn't sure, so my singer advice should just go bye bye . I probably should have just kept my fingers quiet. My husband of 26 years has always loved Pfaff, but we have never been able to afford it, and since thrift stores are so close, I have a lot of neat places for back up machines. Enough of my rambling, I can hardly wait to see what you purchase ... it will be a good education for all us!
    One of the main reasons I take my machines to a repair person is because of that case issue. I bought a "repair your own machine" book ($69), but I didn't find any suggestions of where to get the tools it takes just to open the darned thing up. If I had more time, I might could develop a friendship with my repair man and ask him to teach me, but I don't take time, just want to pay the bill and get back home to my sewing! We must keep our priorities straight .

  19. #19
    cjc
    cjc is offline
    Junior Member cjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    212
    ok, silly question....my machine is able to use a foot pedal or a button on the front to go. The foot pedal plugs into the machine when you want to use it. I accidentally unplugged mine one time.. it took a bit for me to figure out what I had done and plugged it back in.

  20. #20
    moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,968
    Jennifer, Pfaff machines have a switch on the bottom for our power and the power over there. You don't need to special order one that can be used when you come back to the States.

  21. #21
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,660
    Did you just fill a bobbin, and maybe not tighten the flywheel?

    Sure hope it's a minor problem for your machine.

    Good luck with your search.

  22. #22
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,258
    Blog Entries
    1
    Are you sure there isn't a sew and vac kind of a store locally that can take a look at your machine. If you take your transformer, they should be able to check it.

    I had a Singer and went to a Pfaff because of the built-in walking foot, needle down option and low bobbin indicator. Those were my must-haves as a quilter. LOVE my machine. Also have a Brother (low end) to lug around. But the Pfaff is definitely my work horse. But then, could you even buy a Pfaff (or other brand) in Germany that will run in the states, or do you expect to be oversees for a long time?


  23. #23
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Maryville, Tn
    Posts
    1,791
    I would definately go for the Pfaff. my mom bought one in 1953 and it still runs like a top.

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Verona , Virginia
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    So I was in the middle of a quilted bag project (It's the one the GetaGamma offered to us on her blog) and my machine just kaputed out. I was at the part where you stipple the to halves. Got one done and the other is still waiting. It's a Singer Precision 7444 that my husband bought me just to get me started. He picked it out because I had no clue what I was looking for. He probably just seen that it was a sewing machine and paid for it. :?: Another dilema I face is that I'm stationed in Germany(for 10 more months) and the closest repair shop is an hour an a half away..--but my machine has an American plug not European. I'll put is back in the box and get it repair when I return to the states I guess. The machine turns on and all. It just won't sewing when you push the peddle. :cry: I tried to take it apart to see if it was a belt or something noticable in there, but couldn't pry the covering off. Ooh Gees, I have to buy another one, but should I stick with Singer or go for another brand? I have only known my Grams to own a sewing machine and it is a Singer. Picking a new sewing machine is harder that buying a car. Any suggestions?
    Which ever I choose, hopefully the company ships to APO.
    What is the name of the blog for the bag pattern ? Hope you get your machine going :D Annie








  25. #25
    Junior Member Jennifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by stitchinMamaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    So I was in the middle of a quilted bag project (It's the one the GetaGamma offered to us on her blog) and my machine just kaputed out. I was at the part where you stipple the to halves. Got one done and the other is still waiting. It's a Singer Precision 7444 that my husband bought me just to get me started. He picked it out because I had no clue what I was looking for. He probably just seen that it was a sewing machine and paid for it. :?: Another dilema I face is that I'm stationed in Germany(for 10 more months) and the closest repair shop is an hour an a half away..--but my machine has an American plug not European. I'll put is back in the box and get it repair when I return to the states I guess. The machine turns on and all. It just won't sewing when you push the peddle. :cry: I tried to take it apart to see if it was a belt or something noticable in there, but couldn't pry the covering off. Ooh Gees, I have to buy another one, but should I stick with Singer or go for another brand? I have only known my Grams to own a sewing machine and it is a Singer. Picking a new sewing machine is harder that buying a car. Any suggestions?
    Which ever I choose, hopefully the company ships to APO.
    What is the name of the blog for the bag pattern ? Hope you get your machine going :D Annie

    Geta posted in on the board a few weeks ago maybe. I comes together really fast.

    Here's the link:
    http://cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.co...ed-basket.html







Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.