View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 03:11 AM
Jennifer

Originally Posted by omak
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Sounds like the clutch thingy on the wheel that disengages when you wind a bobbin. Mine did the same thing. I took the top off and at the wheel end I found where the wheel wasn't clicking back in place. Don't take the wheel off, it is set to mesh and you'll have a mess. I hope this helps.
That is exactly what I was thinking. I almost ruined the gears on one machine because I was gonna make that needle MOVE .... it happened that I looked up in time to see that the bobbin spindle was moved over to load a bobbin - - which is when I remembered that on that particular machine, the hard case cover moved the bobbin spindle every time you put the cover on. With some machines, you have to loosen the "middle" of the flywheel ... perhaps it got loosened and didn't get tightened back up. I have had one machine that had a part of the middle of that fly wheel that had to pushed in to engage the bobbin winder/disengage the needle - - sometimes, our best little helpers poke things, and golly gee! Things move! <g> ... whatever you do ... keep the machine and get it repaired ... my SIL was going to throw a machine away ... took it to the repairman ... and I have one of the finest drop in bobbin Kenmores they ever built ... and, it almost hit the dump!
I don't know about your specific model, but I wouldn't think badly about singer until I knew for sure what is wrong ... singer has been doing this a long time and has a good reputation.
Oh, I'm definitely going to keep the machine. I've only had it a year. It'll just wait until I get back to the states and I'll take it to a repair shop. Everything seems fine with it until you go to sew and then nothing happens and you get the audible three or four beeps. I wish the manual had a bigger troubleshooting section and for the casing to come off a little easier. Bit she'll be set aside and I'll get another one.