Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sewing machine doesn't sew anymore

Banned
    Thanks so much for the link . Beautiful bowls ! Annie

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    If I had known anyone in Germany who could have gotten me a PFaff, I would have done so. As it is, I bought a new Pfaff 4 years ago and loved it so much I bought another one for piecing. Pfaffs are a wonderful machine and once you have sewn on one, you won't go back to Singer. Like someone said, "It isn't your grandmothers Singer". I would even trust a used Pfaff over many new machines of a different brand. Can you buy used Pfaffs there?
    I'm sure you can. I just have to see where this Pfaff place is and see about getting one with an American plug.
    My pfaff has a switch on the bottom of the machine for which power source you are using, American/European. Easy-peasy to switch!

Oops! I just saw where this was answered above. Shoulda read all the posts first. Well, just consider this a confirmation.

Hi Jennifer,

Is your machine possibly still under warranty? I would think so. If it is, and you take to a dealer that's not an authorized Singer dealer, would you be voiding the warranty? I don't know for sure.

Here's a link to the Singer Customer Support page online. Maybe they can help you.

http://www.singerco.com/support/

Good luck to you.

Karla

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Hi Jennifer,

Is your machine possibly still under warranty? I would think so. If it is, and you take to a dealer that's not an authorized Singer dealer, would you be voiding the warranty? I don't know for sure.

Here's a link to the Singer Customer Support page online. Maybe they can help you.

http://www.singerco.com/support/

Good luck to you.

Karla
    Thanks, this site is the first place I went. I wrote an email to the customer service center two days ago and have not heard anything yet. I was hoping that the audible beeping noise I hear when I push the foot peddle was a clue to whats wrong with it. Hopefully I hear something back.

Hi Jennifer,

Sorry you're having to wait so long for your reply from Singer. I understand how stressful it can be to have your machine not working properly. Right now, two of mine have issues. Hang in there.

Karla

All right..........this is a long shot! Are your feed dogs up or down? If you are trying to do a regular stitch, maybe to machine won't work with the feed dogs down...

My old Singer was made in England and that was bought in 1964 and my new one bought in the 80's was made in Taiwan. Things have really changed but it still is a good machine.

"The Pfaff company is in Kaiserslautern, Germany"

Double check that the factory is still there, Viking bought Pfaff a few years ago & I read that the factory in Germany was closed. Hopefully I'm wrong.

My machine repair guy told me that Pfaff is no longer made in Germany, now they are made in China. You might want to take that into consideration when buying a Pfaff. I grew up on a Pfaff, but alas, they don't make 'em like that anymore!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen 1
    My machine repair guy told me that Pfaff is no longer made in Germany, now they are made in China. You might want to take that into consideration when buying a Pfaff. I grew up on a Pfaff, but alas, they don't make 'em like that anymore!!!
    :oops:
    Repair man is not completely right :roll: Only the cheapest of the Pfaff machines, entry level, are made in China. :oops: The Pfaffs are made side by side with the Viking Machines(Husquvarna).

Banned
    I agree ! Pfaffs are wonderful. Got mine in 1979, still sews like new. I would avoid Singer at all costs! I worked at JoAnn, which sold them, and refused to sell them to customers. They are as bad as the White machines, which used to come back defective within weeks of being sold. Also, NEVER buy a machine that you cannot try out. All machines are not created equal and you need to see if you are "compatible"

Tinks Mom---your Tink looks like my Tinker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sure does :wink: although my Tinkerbelle is a little lighter color and has a pink nose. But they are both appleheads...

Did you notice my Tinker was born without a tail? So cute, she looks like a fawn running around with her long legs.

I agree that you have a wonderful opportunity to get a new PFaff machine. They are one of the best! Maybe look for a used one, if money is the issue.

Make sure your plug for the foot pedal is into the machine tight. That happened with my daughter and she had a loose wire in her foot pedal. Good luck!

Since you are in Germany already, and Pfaff machines come from there, I would definitely get one while I was there. I have had my Pfaff for twenty five years and it still works perfectly. I love it. If you can get a good deal there, go for the best one you can afford! They are great.

Apparently I am one lucky sew-er. My first machine was a Singer (1962). It still works like a charm and makes the most beautiful stitch out of all of my machines. It's a straight stitcher only. My next machne was a White (circa"70s), and it still works like a charm. It zig-zags and not much more. My Serger is also a White. Still serging. My next machine was one of those machines advertised as a heavy duty school machine. And that it is. Very few amenities, but works very well. About the same capabilites as the White. My latest machine is a Janome 4000 ("90s"). Love, love, love it. Computerized, but not too much for this computer-duck. All of these machines have (and are still) serving me well. I am able to choose the machine for the task. The Janome doesn't fare as well with "heavy" sewing, so I use the New Home or the White. Now I have a very old Singer treadle, but it is not in operation -- and never has been since I obtained it. Still trying to find someone to get it going.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2