Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which sewing machine gets to go camping and what pattern to make? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-gets-go-camping-what-pattern-make-t128052.html)

Annaquilts 06-04-2011 05:56 PM

Wonderful tip. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
Whatever you take, pack a can of compressed air to keep your baby clean and running smoothly. Have fun!

sueisallaboutquilts 06-05-2011 05:46 AM

Sounds like fun! I never brought a machine camping but always had hand work. If I went again I'd bring my FW.
Have a great time :)

Annaquilts 06-05-2011 04:43 PM

Thanks for the feed back. I am thinking the FW might be a good option. Our motor home shakes a lot when driving and DH thinks the FW might be the best option too.

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Sounds like fun! I never brought a machine camping but always had hand work. If I went again I'd bring my FW.
Have a great time :)

Glenn 06-05-2011 05:03 PM

I take my FW but sometimes I take the 66 red eye Hand Crank. People at the camp ground who do not sew are drawn to the HC and just want to watch me piece quilt. I do not know if it is the machine or that I am a man sewing. My wife just sit there reading and being entertained by the people watching me. Glenn

cedarvalleyquilts 06-05-2011 05:06 PM

I have an old Singer hand crank that I take when I want to piece while camping. That way if we camp w/o electric I can still work on something to occupy my time...boys like to fish and I don't (but will eat what they catch! lol)

Whichever is the easiest machine for you to tote around would be my answer. If it's like when I go camping, I'm always having to move stuff around to accommodate meal times, so portability is the key for me.

Christine

tjradj 06-05-2011 05:11 PM

Sorry I can't help you. When I go camping with my DS, we're in a tent with no utilities. The table is the camp supplied picnic table. I wouldn't dare take a machine with me because it would get full of sand.
I usually take beach novels. You know the ones. The kind that if you leave them at the beach, you don't care?
Anyway, have a great vacation.

NauDeeGal 06-05-2011 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Wonderful tip. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
Whatever you take, pack a can of compressed air to keep your baby clean and running smoothly. Have fun!

I thought compressed air was bad for sewing machines.....at least that is what the sewing machine repair place has told me....that it forces more lint/dust further into the mechanics of the machines. Therefore needing repaired more often. Has anyone ever heard this before?

pattypurple 06-05-2011 05:30 PM

We are leaving tomorrow. I'm taking my FW and have several kid's charity tops cut and in sets. They are just 6 in. squares which I have laid out and stacked in the order I want to sew them. I also just bought a kit for a US flag wall hanging made with tumbler blocks that will be easy to stitch.
Have fun with your stitching

Navy Wife 06-05-2011 05:42 PM

I usually take my Janome platinum. It's small, light, and fits into the odd shaped storage places our MH has. I've been quilting in the MH for about 6 or 7 years.
We just bought a new MH, so this time I'm going to try it with the big Pfaff. I'll let you know how it works when we get home next August.

DesiG 06-05-2011 05:59 PM

I do 'civilized' camping now- you know the kind where you have your own queen sized bed, full bathroom and a 10x22 foot covered porch next to the trailer. I just got back from it as a matter of fact, and today I finished piecing my next quilt project :-)
I usually bring my featherweight, but since my DH gave me a bernina 430 for graduation, I have been hauling that back and forth (it is definately heavier than my 221) so that I can play with it. I do most of my cutting at home, then piece on my porch! Have fun camping