Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine preference - call me nuts...but (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-preference-call-me-nuts-but-t245841.html)

lclang 04-28-2014 04:10 AM

I have read that the old machines that sew straight stitch ONLY actually make the best stitches. Even though the zigzag machines sew straight stitches too, they still have a very slight zig to them and are not as perfect as the old machines make.

Blackberry 04-28-2014 05:12 AM

I am a vintage sewing machine person. I really like my old black Singer 15-91, my Singer 201 and the Singer 301. I do have two computerized machines and use them also but much prefer the vintage machines.

BuzzinBumble 04-28-2014 05:29 AM

Well I'm glad you said that. I feel the same way about my Singer 301A and my newer, fancier sewing machine. I love both of them, but the older one is my favorite for simple straight stitching.

wolph33 04-28-2014 05:30 AM

I do most of my piecing on a babylock quilters choice pro-straight stitch only---I have 2 fancy machines and love them but for piecing I love my straight stitch only machine.

Wanabee Quiltin 04-28-2014 05:39 AM

I have sewed on the older machines and I liked the stitches really well. But the problem for me was they were always messing up somehow. My Bernina Aurora is a dream to sew on and I will eventually get rid of all others. I know that many of the vintage sewing machine owners say their Singer 15-91 are perfect to piece on. I have one and used it but it still messed up too often for me. I have had my Bernina in the shop just once in 9 years and that was a minor issue.

Jingle 04-28-2014 06:47 AM

I have a Juki TL98QE and Babylock Jane, Straight stitch only machines. I love them both, I use them for piecing and FMQ,

ShirlinAZ 04-28-2014 07:06 AM

I don't think you're crazy, but I went through several machines made in the 1970s that I would not go back to for love nor money. Give me a pre-1950 or a modern computerized machine any day!

Snooze2978 04-28-2014 07:51 AM

I don't have any mechanical machines anymore but I do all my regular sewing, piecing on my 14 year old Viking Designer 1. Even though its a embroidery machine too I love how it stitches when doing regular sewing. Have a Babylock for my embroidery stuff. I keep looking at the new machines out there but the prices just make me turn away from them. I remember when I bought these machines how I thought the prices were outrageous but now they're starting to cost as much as a small car..........OUCH!!!!! Sure wish I kept my little Featherweight now.

llong0233 04-28-2014 08:18 AM

I really like Brother machines. I have three generations; mechanical, computerized CS6000i and the Innovis 1250D with embroidery capability. I was happily sewing along with my family of Brothers when I found a Koala cabinet with raise/lower inset on Craigs List. Along with cabinet there was a Bernina Virtuosa 153 Quilters Edition and Bernina Serger for $1,000. I bought all three items. I now what the all the fuss is about Bernina. It "feels" so different from any of the Brothers. I think there's a lot more metal in the Bernina and, unlike the drop-in bobbin on the Brothers, this is a side-insert bobbin and it NEVER, NEVER skips a stitch. I like the Brother machines and they are excellent values, but all of them have given me fits over the years with their "touchy" bobbin issues. I love the Bernina for the beautiful, reliable, consistent stitches. The quality of the stitching is felt and seen as the machine hums along. I keep the walking foot on the Bernina with wonderful results. I would trade all my machines, including the Bernina Virtuoso, for just one Bernina with a stitch regulator!

caspharm 04-28-2014 09:37 AM

When I had the Pfaff, I used to use my FW all the time for piecing. Since I got my Janome 8900 QCP I have been using it exclusively. However, my FW is still my class and traveling machine of choice.