Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine preference - call me nuts...but (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-preference-call-me-nuts-but-t245841.html)

Nanny's dollface 04-27-2014 06:37 AM

Sewing machine preference - call me nuts...but

Well, I have come to the conclusion, that I love my mechanical Viking Emerald 118 over my Janome Horizon 12000 when it comes to piecing quilts. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my 12000 when it comes to quilting and embroidering but that's where the love ends. The viking seems to sew better ....it can take a beating and never seems to miss a stitch. Is it me or do others have a preference for a non computerized machine? Do you "feel" a difference when sewing? If not then call me nuts. Lol

willferg 04-27-2014 07:10 AM

I feel a difference, but my experience went the opposite way. I had an older mechanical Janome and recently got a newer computerized one. The newer one is so much more powerful and accurate, it makes it a joy to sew. Go figure!

charlottequilts 04-27-2014 07:14 AM

They are different brands as well, and very likely made in different countries. Not to confuse the issue, of course. :)

hugs,
Charlotte

Lori S 04-27-2014 07:59 AM

I love my old mechanical machine for piecing as well. My computerized machine has it its upside , on certain tasks... but if I had to have only one of the two.... it would be a tough choice.

quilts4charity 04-27-2014 08:18 AM

I LOVE my Juki for piecing, it's just a straight stitch, I save my "fancy" machines for applique or regular sewing and I almost never "sew" on the embroidery machines, I just keep them set up for embroidery...One reason I like the Juki is it's fast...glad the quilt police don't give speeding tickets, I'd be in big trouble...LOL

franc36 04-27-2014 09:24 AM

While I love my Bernina for quilting and heirloom sewing, I do all of my piecing on my Featherweight.

Doggramma 04-27-2014 10:49 AM

I had a Bernina 185, not high end at all and I loved it except for the throat space. Never a problem with the tension, could use any kind of thread, not picky about what needle is used. Now I have the Bernina 820. It's definitely a computer! And it can be finicky. Recently when I went to CO to visit my daughter, I got a chance to re-acquaint myself with my old machine for some piecing. Turns out I missed the features on the 820 more.

Craftnut 04-27-2014 10:57 AM

I think my workhorse 1973 vintage Kenmore machine does a better straight stitch with thicker threads like Essentials, Signature, and some of the variegated than my newer Brother electronic sewing/embroidery machine. But the Brother does better with thinner threads like Aurifil. Just the machine's personality I guess.

athomenow 04-27-2014 11:27 AM

I have Vikings and love them all, that's why I still have 4. Can't decide which to get rid of. But I will say that I love my newest 960Q for everything. I have the Lily set up to do some straight stitching and bobbin winding because it winds bobbins better than the 960Q.

TeresaA 04-27-2014 12:17 PM

You are not crazy. Sewing machines are one of the areas where I truly believe they "don't make em like they used to!" Use your mechanical machine and have fun!