Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machine Question... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-question-t134859.html)

Patti Mahoney 07-03-2011 06:17 AM

Thanks so much for your suggestions. My old machine is still running strong. But I wanted a machine just for quilting, one that has the features I would need for quilting, needle down, drop feed, those kinds of things. A dealer is a good suggestion. I'll have to look into those. Thanks again!

twistedstitcher 07-03-2011 06:27 AM

Everyone seems to have their favorite machine. What dealers are close to you? Go to the various dealers and try out machines and see what feels right for you. Don't let them pressure you into buying something right then and there. Narrow it down to a few models and then check here for reviews. You may have to join the site to read older reviews but it's free.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingMachine/Reviews

Personally I'd look at Janome machines. They're user friendly, less expensive than the European machines, and very reliable.

Glassquilt 07-03-2011 06:44 AM

Ditto going to a local dealer. You'll get support.

If you do go to several local shops besides taking notes on the machines, take notes on the personal. Hired help usually reflects management's attitude.

Take note of the stuff on display. Do the bags looks like they're new or have been hanging for years? Something may be wrong if they don't have turnover.

Ask about classes. My dealer offers classes on learning about your new machine. i can call and ask questions anytime if I need to.

Do they have a relationship with a repairman? Looking up an unknown in the yellow pages can be risky.

ontheriver 07-03-2011 06:59 AM

I have a Viking Mega quilter I use just for quilting and I love it, although it is a little pricey. I have had other vikings, brothers, and newer singers and did not like them as well so I started looking for vintage machines. I found an great singer 201 and a 401 and I use those all the time. I like that they are all metal like yours and with a little love and care will be sewing long after I am gone. I like the history in them.

grammy Dwynn 07-03-2011 07:25 AM

I agree with all the other gals ~ Go to a local sewing machine dealers! Interview the dealer, you will be working with them for years to come. How much support do they give? Do they 'train' you how to use the machine.

Also check what 'feet' come with the machine, for quilting 1/4" foot, walking foot and free motion foot (aka darning foot.) My Janome 6500 came with those feet, while other brands you have to purchase separately.

Would you be traveling with this machine ~ retreats, LQS classes or sewing with friends? My 6500 weighs almost 25 lbs, it's one drawback, but I love it.

Good luck in you search!

kathdavis 07-03-2011 07:43 AM

I was using an older Kenmore until last November. Everyone kept talking about these computerized sewing machines and I kept putting it off because my Kenmore was all metal and ran well. I purchased a Brother Innovis 2000 (I paid $1350) last November and I fell in love with those computerized babies. They are wonderful. Check out Brother at a good sewing machine shop. I was warned to stay away from the sewing machines at Walmart, and places like that since I sew a lot, but a lot of people on this blog have them and like them. Hope this helps.

MamaHen 07-03-2011 08:28 AM

When I was ready to purchase my first computerized machine, I went to a Sewing Machine & Vacumn shop that sold about 10 different brands of machines. I looked at all that was within my price range and tried them all. I looked for one that was user friendly, not a big learning curve and one that I felt would last me a long time. I did not jump in and buy that day, but thought about all the features and what I really needed and what I really wanted. I chose a Elna 6004 and was very happy with this machine (still have it) thinking it would last me forever. Well times change, machines improve, so did I, so started looking for a machine with more bells & whistles, that took me to the Janome Horizon 7700. I'm very happy, moral of story, please go and try the many different brands and models, you'll find one that fits your needs. Stay away from the lower end machines from Walmart, most I have seen have given owners nothing but headaches. Good luck in your search.

Patti Mahoney 07-03-2011 08:46 AM

Thanks for your input. Almost everyone is saying the same thing...to go to a dealer and check out what the have, take notes and take classes or let the dealer work with me. That is all great advise. So, off to a dealer I go. I'm just starting to quilt, hand stitching at this time. My next venture is to hand applique. Seems I'm going to lean more toward hand stitching than machine work but I still want a great machine so that when I am ready to machine sew, I'll be ready. Again, thanks so much. Everyone has been sooo helpful.

Jo Mama 07-03-2011 08:53 AM

I too love my Bernina QE. It will last me forever so becomes most affordable. Lots of Bernina dealers have no interest financing. I would check around.

quiltnmore 07-03-2011 11:06 AM

You can quilt on almost any machine, but I got frustrated trying to quilt on a double size quilt in the regular sized area. I bought a machine with a larger area (harp) from needle to side.

My Janome 6500 came with an acrylic table to have a flat surface to move the quilt on. I don't need the table since my old cabinet has just enough room for the machine to fit inside and be lower to my level.

I agree to go to the dealer since you want more than your old machine offers. You will get great advice here too!