Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-question-t251638.html)

grandme26 08-12-2014 04:05 AM

I have a Janome 8900 and have used it to FMQ. Love it!

ScrappyAZ 08-12-2014 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by icul8rg8r (Post 6841146)
I use to have a Brother, which pieces quilt tops just fine, but when it came to sandwiches or quilting through multiple layers, it had troubles - the stitching was inconsistent even with a walking foot (which was cumbersome to put on and take off).

I was seriously considering purchasing a Brother (mainly because that's within my budget) but your comments about sandwiching has me concerned. Sandwiching is my least favorite part of quilting, and I have enough issues with that process without having to worry about the machine.

SusanSusan33 08-12-2014 05:31 AM

I have a Janome 6600P. It's a great machine with a very nice stitch and a larger throat (harp- the space to the riht of the needle). I like that it has the built in walking foot and does a very nice FMQing stitch.

If I were to buy a second machine I would get a Juki 2010 to start a little collection going.

I also have an older Elna 6300, but that's at my Moms house indefinitely for her to use. She wanted to "buy" it from me, but I decided an indefinte loan is better. I can't take money from my Mom...

fmhall2 08-12-2014 05:51 AM

My sewing machine repairman said that Brother and Baby Lock are the best machines being made today. So I have two Brothers, one Pfaff (7570), one older New Home, a Viking 1100 (on permanent loan to a friend), and a 1954 Featherweight. Incidentally I teach sewing and quilting in my home.

Bubbie 08-12-2014 06:39 AM

When I was looking for a new (or newer), machine I had the same questions you do. I found that I made up quilt blocks (cut out the pieces for a simple block or mug rug batting and backing), placed it into a zip lock bag. I made 12 of these bags up, then placed a large recipe card into each bag and all bags went into my car. When I went to a dealer (we have a number in my area), to look at a machine I would take a bag or two into the dealers with me. They show you all kinds of things, but you need to do some sewing your self. I would sew a block together, then make my notes on the enclosed card. If I used a second machine in the shop I would do it all over again. I also had a couple of finished blocks with me that I would try free motion quilting on, I would also make notes on a card also. This gave me things to look at and reread my notes when I was away from the sales people. With the price of machines any dealer that doesn't want you to make a block, doesn't want to sell a machine. I have found that the dealers I went to, thought it was a good idea (and I was asked back to teach a tween sewing class). Just something you might want to try. Good luck.

maggie_1936 08-12-2014 08:40 AM

I don't free motion but i'd try them all before I buy

llong0233 08-12-2014 08:43 AM

Free motion on a domestic machine without stitch regulator takes loads of practice. Many, many quilters out there do beautiful work with free motion. I own Brothers and now a basic Bernina 153 Virtuosa. I would probably trade them all for one Bernina with the a stitch regulator. There may be others out there with stitch regulators, domestic sewing machines I mean, but I'm not aware of any. So for free motion and all other general sewing (not embroidery) I would go with that. You of course should try out as many as possible and find what suits your needs. As Nammie to 7 says, you will get raves about every brand! I recommend you try free motion with, and without, the stitch regulator at your local dealer.

CMK 08-12-2014 11:57 AM

Whatever you decide, make sure you get some type of instructional classes, support FREE, no extra charge!!!!

nstitches4u 08-12-2014 08:13 PM

My hubby just bought me a BabyLock Crescendo for my birthday. It has an 11.25 inch harp so it is great for FMQing. It has auto threading, thread cutter and needle up/needle down. It also has a laser guideline that you can set to your seam width and follow for perfect seams. I just got it less than a week ago, but I know I'm going to love it.

JeanieG 08-14-2014 01:52 PM

I also have the Brother 1500s which I use for quilting. It is a wonderful machine, and quilts anything I put into it. I use a Baby Lock for piecing, and have a small Brother I keep in our motorhome for when we are traveling.