Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machine Recommendation--Bernina vs Viking (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-recommendation-bernina-vs-viking-t227373.html)

qltrwannab 08-10-2013 10:12 AM

I have the Sapphire 850 and I love it ! The automatic presser foot lever is wonderful! Best machine
I have ever owned ! Only one quirk I have with it , is that I have trouble sewing out a pre-programmed stitch..
Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks !

purplefiend 08-12-2013 08:00 PM

I love my older Berninas, wish they had a longer throat space. I have the Sapphire 875Q, love it, however it can be a bit cranky at times. I also have a Pfaff 1222E and it has the IDT, built-in-full time walking foot, its wonderful for piecing quilts and sewing garments. I use it to sew bindings on quilts too.
If there was a Viking or a Pfaff with a vertical bobbin case like the older Berninas have, it would make me very happy.
Sharon

romanojg 08-13-2013 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend (Post 6231333)
I love my older Berninas, wish they had a longer throat space. I have the Sapphire 875Q, love it, however it can be a bit cranky at times. I also have a Pfaff 1222E and it has the IDT, built-in-full time walking foot, its wonderful for piecing quilts and sewing garments. I use it to sew bindings on quilts too.
If there was a Viking or a Pfaff with a vertical bobbin case like the older Berninas have, it would make me very happy.
Sharon

I love the drop in bobbins on my Viking. Especially when embroidering because it has a button that moves the hoop out of the way and it just loads so easy. My Viking Mega quilter has the other type but it opens from the side so you don't have to take your sewing off the machine to change bobbins.

romanojg 08-13-2013 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by MarleneC (Post 6222676)
Viking has not sold out to Singer--the same company owns Pfaff, Singer and Viking. Yes, Viking is now having its machines made in China. I have 2 Viking machines and a Viking serger--if we had a dealer in this area I would go with the Babylock/Brother machines. I have had a Viking since 2000 and I still miss having the presser foot lift.

If you check Vikings web site you'll find out they don't make all if any of their machines in China. I've owned the Ruby, and now the Diamond Deluxe and they both have made in Sweeden on them and on their box plus when you go to their site where they compare thier emb machines, at the bottom it says all of thier machines are made in Sweeden. Now, I'm not sure about non-emb machines so this could be true. No matter what, when I get my Diamond paid off I'm getting a smaller one to carry with me. I just lent my Kenmore/Janome to my daughter and she fell in love with it and says she's never giving it back. Up until now she's been using me 25 yr old Singer, which has alot of stitches but no computer and there is a difference in how they sew. It's hard for me to use the Kenmore because Viking has me so spoiled, all I have to do is either hit the foot pedal or the start button and it puts the needle down and the drops the presser foot and its ready to sew. I keep forgetting to put the presser foot down on my Kenmore.

grann of 6 08-13-2013 04:57 AM

I was told by my Viking dealer that the only thing that is different about Viking now, is that Singer owns the company. They are still made in the same factory, have the same people managing the business, etc.
Two of my QB friends were here for a quilting weekend this past weekend, and the one says now she knows what her next machine will be. She loves the features on the Vikings. She was using the D1, other gal was using DGDs little Viking without all the bells and whistles, but she still loves it. I have no experience with any other brands other than the older Singers, so I can't compare or run down any other machines. I may like them too, if I tried them, I just know I love my Vikings, and the service they provide is excellent.

FlaGirl 08-14-2013 09:20 AM

OK girls, hope I made the right decision. I purchased the Viking 875. Monetarily it was the right decision. The floor model was going as they are coming out with a new machine in the Fall. They dropped the price from $2500 to $1900 and it had only been on the floor 2 months. No one really uses it. She threw in the walking foot, which is over $100, and Joann's is in my town. The Bernina dealer wanted $2300 for their floor model, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles as the Viking and the dealer is 30 minutes away. They are sending it out to have it cleaned and tuned up so I will get it next week. Once I get the hang of the presser foot, I think I will really like it. Scary committing to so much money with other good choices. Oh, I also have a points card and have enough points to get another foot. Wow!!

Charming 08-14-2013 02:38 PM

I am a Viking person from the beginning. My first machine from Viking is the Sapphire 875Q and I have had it for almost 4 years and I absolutely love it. Too many features that I haven't even used it.

grann of 6 08-14-2013 03:03 PM

Am thinking you made the right decision. I have had Vikings for 13 years now, and love them all. As I said before I have no experience with any other brands except the old Singers, so I can't say anything bad about any of them, but I do know having a great Viking rep to help you is very important. I love mine, she is just the best. Have lots of fun and don't be afraid to experiment and ask questions.