Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machine Recommendation--Bernina vs Viking (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-recommendation-bernina-vs-viking-t227373.html)

FlaGirl 08-06-2013 08:15 AM

Sewing Machine Recommendation--Bernina vs Viking

I have had a Bernina Activa 130 for years. It still works great but I would like a new machine. I have been looking at the Viking Sapphire 875 and Bernina 530. They are comparable in price but the Viking seems to offer so much more than the Bernina. I like the larger throat space on the Viking. Not sure about the absence of a presser foot lever. My Bernina has been so good it is hard to leave the name. All of the online searches seem to be showing people saying they love the Sapphire and I don't see anything about the Bernina. Wondering what opinions are out on the Board. Thanks for the input.

MartiMorga 08-06-2013 08:20 AM

I have 3 Baby Locks - love the Baby Locks!!!

nhweaver 08-06-2013 08:27 AM

I have the 875Q, it is an okay machine, a bit noisy. Stitches well, and I love not having the presser foot lever. Just took a janome 8900 for a test drive, and missed the 875Q. When you step on the pedal on the 875Q, the pressure foot drops automatically. I love that feature. The Janome 8900 has a larger throat 11", would love that.

Misty's Mom 08-06-2013 08:28 AM

I have Janomes and love them. And they have the longer throat.

wolph33 08-06-2013 08:29 AM

I am a Viking fan-lack of presser foot lever is awesome =-just need to get used to it.

Tartan 08-06-2013 08:37 AM

Does the Bernina 530 come with the BSR? I have the 440 with the Bernina Stitch Regulator and I love it. I think the 530 is about the same as the 440 but without the embroidery capability. I didn't get the embroidery upgrade and would have bought the 500 series machine if it had been available.

FlaGirl 08-06-2013 08:41 AM

No, you have to pay extra to by the BSR. It has a lot of computerized items but no embroidery. I don't want to get into the embroidery. I have enough UFOs I need to machine quilt and finish. :) The Viking does have a larger throat space and more computerized items. Hard to know. I plan on test driving the two and see if that helps.

NJ Quilter 08-06-2013 08:42 AM

Viking gal here. I have an older computerized model and a friend has the Sapphire but I don't think it's the 875. Took her a bit to get used to the lack of presser foot lever but she loves it now and the machine in general.

Treasureit 08-06-2013 08:42 AM

I have a Viking and LOVE the auto presserfoot! And there is a button to lift/lower if you want to use it. I have heard that all the newer machines are of lesser quality since they are now made in in foreign countries like China. I think almost all of the name brands have moved the manufacturing from the base countries....sad...because the older machines are of nice quality. Maybe someone with a newer machine can address this from a personal experience.

My Viking is about 10 years old and it works like a charm.

quilter1 08-06-2013 08:47 AM

I have had my Bernina 830 Record for 40 years, bought a Bernina 440QEE which I am keeping and just bought a Bernina 750QEE. Guess which machine I prefer?