Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machine service (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-service-t286262.html)

quiltedsunshine 02-21-2017 02:59 PM

As a sewing machine tech, I tell people, "If you sew every day, you should get your machine serviced every year. But don't go more than 4 years without a service." The old oil is soooo hard to get off, if you let it sit for 10 years. It can freeze-up the machine.

Nammie to 7 02-21-2017 03:34 PM

I have my TOL Bernina serviced every year - it generally gets at least a million stitches every year.

Sandygirl 02-22-2017 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7769152)
​I only take my Bernina in if there is a problem.

I never have problems because I take my machines in for regular cleaning..maintenance. ;). Prevention

about every couple of years

sandy

jmoore 02-22-2017 03:27 AM

While I am diligent about cleaning out my bobbin area regularly, I have always taken my machine in every year to have it checked under the hood. It only costs me $50 so I think it's worth it.

QuiltMom2 02-22-2017 03:49 AM

I sew/embroider daily and I feel like a fool taking the machine for servicing yearly, but the machine just keeps on going. I'm trying to wear out a Bernina Artista 170.

Grinch 02-22-2017 04:50 AM

I try to remember to take mine in when I am on vacation sot that I won't be without, but I forgot last year. The machine doesn't seem to mind - it is running just fine.

KwiltyKahy 02-22-2017 05:30 AM

I'm not good about getting my machines serviced but last month, I decided to take my Brother 1500 in for a routine service. This is a great mechanical machine and was working just fine. However, my tech found a lot of rust and had a problem doing some routine service. So, if I hadn't taken it in then the whole thing could have seized up and I would have cried.

citruscountyquilter 02-22-2017 06:00 AM

I have a Viking purchased new in 1977 and I sew a lot. I have taken it in most every year for service and it is still going strong. Two years ago I got a newer machine with a large harp area so I don't use my Viking as much. I have already had my new machine cleaned and tuned up once. I clean it good regularly too. I believe in regular maintenance will extend the life and quality of stitching on a machine. I take my car in for regular maintenance too. I never have had a problem with my machines. My Featherweight machines I service myself because they are easy to do with regular oiling, cleaning and lube about once a year.

Lyncat 02-22-2017 06:26 AM

I take my TOL Babylock in once a year. I paid a lot of money for it and I treat it well!

Onebyone 02-22-2017 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine (Post 7769371)
As a sewing machine tech, I tell people, "If you sew every day, you should get your machine serviced every year. But don't go more than 4 years without a service." The old oil is soooo hard to get off, if you let it sit for 10 years. It can freeze-up the machine.

The tech at the dealer here tells everyone that machine oil is made to evaporate so it won't gum up the works.