Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machine service (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-service-t286262.html)

Wanabee Quiltin 02-22-2017 07:22 AM

I had a slight problem with the thread breaking on my Bernina after I had it 10 years. Had it cleaned and she told me it was really dirty inside but I clean it every 6 bobbins always. Based on that, I will get it cleaned every ten years or so.

salederer 02-22-2017 07:36 AM

The machine I use on a daily basis I have serviced once a year. My little Janome that I use to take to quilt club and retreats I've had for about 5 years and it still has not been serviced, although I am careful about keeping it clean.

Lady Diana 02-22-2017 07:52 AM

If it isn't broke, don't fix it....works for me. The quote to service machines is $150....I save the money for my next machine.
I oil the wick and shafts on all my machines and, of course, vacuum lint and threads. Once every few years I take off the bottom of my machines, oil where ther is metal moving joints.... check the grease areas and put back together. Most machines do not any additional grease. If you have old hard oil somewhere, someone did not use pure machine oil. Also the grease I am referring to is machine grease that does not turn racid or hard over time. Don't be afraid of your machine. We are not messing with the computerized areas. If I have a major problem with parts or computer board, I would take it to the shop.

purplefiend 02-22-2017 09:54 AM

I have my Pfaff QE 4.2 serviced every 2 years, since its all computer driven I don't try to open anything up. My other machines are antiques and I do them all myself.

Sharon in Texas

Divokittysmom 02-22-2017 12:04 PM

I have my machines serviced every single year.

sJens 02-22-2017 03:59 PM

I have 2 Bernini's and take them in once a year for service/check ups. Have never had a problem but they are an expensive machine so....

gramma nancy 02-22-2017 06:37 PM

My Bernina is supposed to tell me when it needs service. I don't know how often (does it do it by stitch count? maybe.) Anyway, it's been years since it was in and I have no idea how to tell when it needs it. It is working perfectly, so I don't know when -- or if -- it needs attention.

quiltingshorttimer 02-22-2017 09:09 PM

with my mechanicals, I mostly do my own maintenance and only take in if problems. With my computerized, I get them maintenanced about every couple of years. With the long arm,I get tech out when there's a problem . I'm of the school of thought that regular home maintenance is super important, ditto, getting to really know your machine and it's sounds because it will tell you when something i wrong.

wbfrog 02-23-2017 04:42 AM

I have never had a machine service since I been sewing, I have the small vacuum kit that I hook up to my regular vacuum and do the inside and I keep my machine clean especially if I am sewing something that produce lint.