Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine throwing a fit...chewing up corner of fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-throwing-fit-chewing-up-corner-fabric-t196756.html)

joyce888 08-06-2012 05:09 AM

I have a Pfaff Expressions 4 and the same thing happens to me all the time. I've tried a new needle, changed thread, pulled the last sewn piece to create tension, and also started with a leader. Changing to a single hole is not an option on this machine. There have been times I've literally sewn the leader to the seam to get it started. Points on triangles are the worst.

Nanaquilts44 08-06-2012 06:09 AM

I am glad I read this thread. I have had this happen lately on my machine. Think I will change my needle. Thanks for all the tips.

WilliP 08-06-2012 08:21 AM

I hope that fixed it! We do realize that needles travel several miles at high speeds through a multitude of layers? So, first thing I have learned to check is the needle. Second is to clean out the bobbin area and the feed dogs --amazing how fast the lint can build up and cause troubles. I think that is why the single hole straight stitch needle plate on older machines works better than those that allow for zigzag motion. Not as much exposure to the elements as it were. I was taught by my grandmothers to keep plenty of needles on hand and change at least when I started a new project.

Originally Posted by BeckyB (Post 5419076)
boy what are the odds! I quit sewing the other day for that same reason....guess I will change the needle

eastermarie 08-06-2012 08:43 AM

If you don't have a single hole plate you can carefully cut narrow short pieces of masking tape and place on each side of the large needle hole to narrow it. Just don't cover the feed dogs.

QuiltnLady1 08-06-2012 06:06 PM

I use the "sew off/sew ons" -- a piece of fabric that I feed through first, stopping as soon as I can slip the end of the triangle under the presser foot, then start sewing again. I don't seem to have the problem with the ends getting chewed up any more.

pungogal 08-06-2012 06:12 PM

all you need to do is take a piece of scrap fabric and put that directly behind the piece you are sewing before you start so your machine wont drag your fabric down. works likke a charm every time!

irishrose 08-06-2012 06:17 PM

Switch machines. Don't you have a 99? Your avatar is a FW. You really need a single hole plate, or even better a straight stitch only machine. You'll be pleased when your 301 is ready to sew.

pinkberrykay 08-06-2012 06:46 PM

I do use a leader fabric and changing the needle helped tremendously. Yes I do have a featherweight and other machine I can use but I don't have enough confidence to do an entire quilt on one yet.

irishrose 08-06-2012 07:43 PM

You don't have to do the entire quilt on the FW, just the HSTs. When my GD was using my 301, I did my HSTs on my 15 clone. The quilt didn't care and it worked because it's a straight stitch, too. I also like to use a second machine because I have a metal accessory on the 301 to help with the 1/4" seam and by using the 15, I don't have to move and replace it.

Peckish 08-06-2012 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5423014)
You don't have to do the entire quilt on the FW, just the HSTs.

I agree, and if you're concerned because someone has told you that once you start a quilt on a machine, you have to finish on that machine - all you have to be nervous about is if your 1/4" seam is the same from one machine to the next. If you can sew an accurate 1/4" seam on both machines, then by all means, use a different machine to sew the HSTs on.