Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing machine throwing a fit...chewing up corner of fabric

Angry Sewing machine throwing a fit...chewing up corner of fabric

I am sewing half sew triangles and my machine keeps grabbing the top corner and shoving it down into the needle hole. I have slowed down my sewing, I start with a leader and nothing seems to help with the problem. This is not happening on everyone but when I am trying to chain stitch and i am stopping to pull out the fabric and then get the knot out of the corner of the fabric I start to throw a fit.

Any advice would be appreciated. Oh, and I am going to change the needle and see if that helps. I am starting to hear that popping sound when my needle gets dull.

Name:  photo-18.JPG
Views: 2063
Size:  644.9 KB

You found the solution... it's the dull needle causing the problem.
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

Thanks Christine

I hope that helps. Mine does that every once in awhile and it is very annoying!
    Heather

Blog Entries
    The only suggestion I have is to use a single needle face plate. That solved the problem for me.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I would try a new needle.

Blog Entries
    boy what are the odds! I quit sewing the other day for that same reason....guess I will change the needle
    It is easier to be wise for others than for ourselves.

I found switching the plate from zigzag to single hole solved my problem.

The single hole stitch plate will help, but if this is not an option for you, try holding onto the block behind the foot and putting some tension on the block coming into the needle.
    Crashnquilt

Wouldn't you like to live with my mind just for a moment? I wish you would, I think I need to get OUT OF IT!

single hole throat plate is a good way to keep this from happenining

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I sew from the other end on the flying geese. From the middle so that won't happen. If I start on a corner, it always sucks down the edge and I get a clump of thread, so I go from the other end of the flying goose. Try it. It will help.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I sometimes resort to putting a scrap piece of paper under each point before sewing. Works the same as a single hole plate.

Great suggestions. I have this happen occasionally & always wondered what to do. Thanks everyone!
    SewQuiltsSally

Quote Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
    I am sewing half sew triangles and my machine keeps grabbing the top corner and shoving it down into the needle hole. I have slowed down my sewing, I start with a leader and nothing seems to help with the problem. This is not happening on everyone but when I am trying to chain stitch and i am stopping to pull out the fabric and then get the knot out of the corner of the fabric I start to throw a fit.

Any advice would be appreciated. Oh, and I am going to change the needle and see if that helps. I am starting to hear that popping sound when my needle gets dull.

Name:  photo-18.JPG
Views: 2063
Size:  644.9 KB
    Very simple solution for what you're doing. Sew from the side instead of the point.

On your face plate, do you have a single hole or the zigzag face plate? If zigzag, change to single hole plate.

Blog Entries
    I have seen some of the sewers on t.v. mention having a scrap piece of material to start sewing on, then go onto your piece you are working on, like chain stitich from the scrap to the work. Sewing with Nancy does it a lot on her show but not going to say they were doing a flying geese block, but it did keep the corner from being sucked down in machines. New needle helps too. change mine when it starts making popping sound. Hope this helps. I am working on a flying geese border now, learned a simple way to do it. Here is the tute where I learned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKfM3...eature=related

I can actually do this. Is by Missouri Quilt Company but think it is a Eleanor Burns design.
    My stash keeps me in stitches!

Thanks everyone for your help. I changed the needle and I only had one corner get sucked into the hole so far. As far as the faceplate, I think I only have the one thats on there don't remember it coming with another.

I had the same problem and to solve it I cleaned out the feed dogs they were not grabbing the fabric after I did that it was fine. but thanks for the suggestion to change the needle.

I love my Bernina but the larger hole face plate and the wider feed dogs necessary to allow the decorative stitches I like to use does cause a sucking problem. I do a lot of "princess pillowcase dresses" for a local chairity project that require making straps from bias binding etc. My machine is notorious for sucking it down into the "lower reaches' of my machine. The binding is often to narrow to be caught by the feed dogs which is also frustrating. My current machine also has the option for the embroidery module, which I did not purchase. That makes the throat plate and feed dogs even wider.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

if you are sewing square to a rectangle, as pictured, put the end with the rectangle into the machine first, not the tip of the square, i was given this info at a class recently and it does help, the feed dogs get to hold the underlying fabric...i hope this helps and makes sense

Blog Entries
    I have a Pfaff Expressions 4 and the same thing happens to me all the time. I've tried a new needle, changed thread, pulled the last sewn piece to create tension, and also started with a leader. Changing to a single hole is not an option on this machine. There have been times I've literally sewn the leader to the seam to get it started. Points on triangles are the worst.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I am glad I read this thread. I have had this happen lately on my machine. Think I will change my needle. Thanks for all the tips.

Blog Entries
    I hope that fixed it! We do realize that needles travel several miles at high speeds through a multitude of layers? So, first thing I have learned to check is the needle. Second is to clean out the bobbin area and the feed dogs --amazing how fast the lint can build up and cause troubles. I think that is why the single hole straight stitch needle plate on older machines works better than those that allow for zigzag motion. Not as much exposure to the elements as it were. I was taught by my grandmothers to keep plenty of needles on hand and change at least when I started a new project.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyB View Post
    boy what are the odds! I quit sewing the other day for that same reason....guess I will change the needle

If you don't have a single hole plate you can carefully cut narrow short pieces of masking tape and place on each side of the large needle hole to narrow it. Just don't cover the feed dogs.

I use the "sew off/sew ons" -- a piece of fabric that I feed through first, stopping as soon as I can slip the end of the triangle under the presser foot, then start sewing again. I don't seem to have the problem with the ends getting chewed up any more.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast