Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine vacumn cleaner attachments?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-vacumn-cleaner-attachments-t237631.html)

quiltingshorttimer 12-28-2013 09:23 PM

Sewing machine vacumn cleaner attachments??

I have been seeing an attachment to the vacumn cleaner that allows you to clean your sewing machine--has anyone used this and does it work? I'm particularly interested in using it on the long arm machine--several people have suggested an air compressor to blow out lint, etc but vacumn it seems to be a more "permanent" solution. Pretty cheap, but just wonder if they work.

earthwalker 12-28-2013 09:32 PM

No idea...I use a piece of an old pair of stockings secured with a rubber band over the narrowest attachment...stops any stray bits going into the machine.

Prism99 12-28-2013 10:02 PM

Those small attachments work. I misplaced my set when we moved, and I'm still looking for it! Meanwhile, I have been using painter's tape to tape a straw to the end of my full-sized crevice tool. When you use a small opening like this (either a straw or the mini attachments), you want to put your vacuum cleaner on the lightest suction (if you have the option of adjusting suction).

I do not think it is ever a good idea to blow air into a machine's innards, although some people use canned air very judiciously -- aiming the air above so it blows out the bobbin cover opening.

Peckish 12-28-2013 10:13 PM

I bought a little kit at Harbor Freight, I think it was about $8, it has several different attachments that hook up to my vacuum cleaner, they can suck the lint out of the tiniest nooks and crannies.

dunster 12-28-2013 10:15 PM

Canned air works well on a longarm. Because of the different design, the lint doesn't go into the machine's innards. I thought about using vacuum attachments on my DSM, but frankly it would be so much trouble to get the vacuum out, lug it upstairs, and hook it up that I knew I would never use it. Instead (and for about the same price) I got a car vacuum that can be plugged in, and I keep it right next to the sewing machine, easy to get to and therefore ready to be used.

sap 12-28-2013 11:08 PM

I have had the attachments you are talking about for years. My grands like to play with them; I feel about the attachments as I do my sewing scissors.

ckcowl 12-29-2013 03:31 AM

I have the attachment set (bought from 'Clotilde's ' ) and love them! they work well, makes a good cleaning oh so much easier- I use them on all 5 of my sewing machines (including the long arm) and my computer, tower & keyboard- any 'gadget' that has small areas that need a good cleaning/dusting. I have noticed 'Nancy's Notions' has a small vacuum in their catalog I have been considering- then I wouldn't have to haul my big vacuum in to use- but the attachments have 'connectors' that fit the hose of my big vacuum just fine & they work well.

Joset 12-29-2013 05:19 AM

i have that attachment for my vacuum and i love it. i can set my vacuum on med and
a way i go. i like that better than air so nothing goes into my machine.

Geri B 12-29-2013 05:27 AM

Trick is to buy the cheapest vac you can find...new or at resale shop....and keep it in your work area...then a snap to use the conversion kit........

Pagzz 12-29-2013 05:31 AM

I bought one but it didn't fit my vacuum. At our December Guild Party we played a gift exchange and another had brought one in that didn't fit her vacuum.