Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machine Withdrawal? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-withdrawal-t40853.html)

sewnsewer2 03-30-2010 02:40 PM

I know the feeling! That's a good idea having a backup machine. So sorry you are going thru withdrawals, but we are here to help you get thru it.

Favorite Fabrics 03-30-2010 02:44 PM

You are so fortunate to have a maintenance man who is willing to show you how to do the basic cleaning and oiling yourself! It's been my experience that most technicians do not want to share their knowledge as it results in less income for them. He is right, though, in saying that you should know how to do the simple stuff yourself. It will save you big $$ over the years! And his price is not bad, really. Consider it a "private lesson".

damaquilts 03-30-2010 02:53 PM

I can clean and oil all my old machines but my new one I can't take apart too much. One of the best purchases I made was one of the mini vacuum attachments. I love it. I clean out the bobbin area almost everytime I use it. But once a week I set up the vacuum and suck all the dust from underneath the bobbin area.

adrianlee 03-30-2010 03:55 PM

hi again! I got a call this afternoon on my Pfaff, model 2124. This is a mid-range machine I bought in 2004 and of coure the warrenty is up on it. It's the computer board. The tech ordered a new one, $219 and then there is the labor $$ to work on it. It's over $300 all together. Yes, made me want to cry. That's a lot of fabric I can't buy.

MadQuilter 03-30-2010 04:01 PM

Oh you gotta have a backup plan. If Hubby can lug it to the table and the old gal is willing to roll over, use it. AND take hubby up on the shop hop - rumor has it there's a lot of fabric to be found in those stores.

...and just think of how much time you have catching up on the QB AND finding new patterns of things you "must" do.

zz-pd 03-30-2010 04:18 PM

I so far have been lucky with my sewing machines, and thank God I do have two. so sorry that this happened to you. Penny

mpeters1200 03-30-2010 04:31 PM

My machine just walked through the door...well, it was carried in....I went FINALLY and jumped up and went to get it. DH carried it in...he says "I see how I rate....work all day and she runs to the machine!!"

Hee Hee

BellaBoo 03-30-2010 04:37 PM

I can't remember ever living in a house without a sewing machine, growing up and grown up. I gave my two girls each a vintage Singer machine knowing they wouldn't use it but at least they have one in the house.

kjym 03-30-2010 05:08 PM

I know what you mean. I went through with draws when my older machine was in the shop. So now I have a machine on my frame that I can take off to use and I got a little gem Jenome machine that weighs about 12 pounds that I got to take to class so I always have a extra. The little one I got at a quilt show for $98.00 and it has been a lifesaver.
kjym Kathleen

lacikat 03-30-2010 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by topper1
go to walmart buy cheap machine just to have a backup. my thought.

I did this, bought a cheap Brother, I hate it. My Viking has me spoiled. My Viking is at my friend's house where I've been spending my days sewing. So decided to use my Brother at home. Yuk. I guess I just have to set up my New Home Embroidery machine that I haven't learned to use and get some practice on that.