Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which sewing machine would you pick? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-would-you-pick-t182345.html)

grannylove 03-12-2012 03:22 AM

I don't quilt. I come here every day because it is like visiting my mom who did a lot of quilting. I have a viking for 25 plus years and have never had a problem with it. I made all my daughters school clothes and grand daughters clothes. I love my machine and if I get another machine it would be a viking.

Pieces2 03-12-2012 03:47 AM

You should sew on all three machines on your list. Decide what kind of sewing you are going to do, which machine has what you need. Theres always one machine that just 'feels' right when you sew on it.

Dodie 03-12-2012 03:57 AM

they all sound like nice machines but the most important of all is the dealer you can't go wrong with a nice friendly one who is always there with help when you need it and be sure to check out the classes there is always so much to learn on a new machine good luck on your decission.

nanascottie 03-12-2012 03:59 AM

all three are great machines. after my eyesight went bad my dh got me a viking because it had a needle threader. now most machines have that. i love my viking - have a good dealer and good people who work for her. there is the key for me - buy from someone who is going to be there with support and help.

GladGrams 03-12-2012 04:16 AM

Check this out

Originally Posted by mamabearme (Post 5048291)
I'm shopping for a new machine, and have narrowed it down to 3. All of them are a huge step up from the Wal-Mart Brother I've had for 15 years.

So, can you tell me which one you'd pick, and why? Thanks in advance.

The choices are:
Janome Horizon Memory Craft 2700 QCP
Elna eXcellence 740
Husqvarna Viking Tribute 140C

Check out this site. According to the writer when you buy an Elna you are really buying a Janome, so I would narrow it down to the Janome or the Viking. Anyway if you are planning to spend $1000 or more - then you can't go wrong on either machine. It all depends on what you are most comfortable with.

http://www.evidently.org/2007/02/too-much-information/

Karissa 03-12-2012 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by mamabearme (Post 5048291)
I'm shopping for a new machine, and have narrowed it down to 3. All of them are a huge step up from the Wal-Mart Brother I've had for 15 years.

So, can you tell me which one you'd pick, and why? Thanks in advance.

The choices are:
Janome Horizon Memory Craft 2700 QCP
Elna eXcellence 740
Husqvarna Viking Tribute 140C

I agree with the others try all 3 out but I would go with Viking, I have had Janome 6000-11000
The 11000 for the last 6 months I've had nothing but problems . In the that time I've used it all of 3 weeks. My sister has the viking I have used it & LOVE it.

Elaine433 03-12-2012 04:43 AM

Those are all good machines. I agree with everyone else here as to go and try them out and see just what each one is like to you. We all look for different things in a machine and what works for one of us might not work for you. You are the one who will use the machine and you have to enjoy it.

klgls 03-12-2012 05:13 AM

I had a New Home for 20 years and just recently purchased a Janome 6600. I'm very pleased with my new machine so far. I have never tried a Viking - kind of wish I had "shopped" a bit more - just because I'm curious now.

lovedquilts 03-12-2012 05:22 AM

The Janome Horizon is a beautiful machine. On my wish list

pocoellie 03-12-2012 05:39 AM

I would research all the ones that you're interested in, and test drive all of them. I have a Elna Quilter's Dream and have been more than happy with it. I bought it used from a dealer, it had been a trade in. I do know that some machines have been recalled for various reasons, but don't know which ones or for what reason, which is why I say to research the brand and models.