Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Which sewing machine would you pick?

Which sewing machine would you pick?

I'm shopping for a new machine, and have narrowed it down to 3. All of them are a huge step up from the Wal-Mart Brother I've had for 15 years.

So, can you tell me which one you'd pick, and why? Thanks in advance.

The choices are:
    Janome Horizon Memory Craft 2700 QCP
    Elna eXcellence 740
    Husqvarna Viking Tribute 140C

Blog Entries
    try them all out and choose the one you like best. all 3 are nice machines
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Can't speak about any of the models specifically but I will say that I do love my Viking Platinum! Have had it for probably 10 years now, never had an issue with it at all.

Blog Entries
    I also have the Viking, nice thing about them you don't oil them you take them in once year for cleaning & they do the lube job!
    Patski
    always learning

I have a Janome 6600P and a Husqvarna-Viking Platinum and like them both. Don't know anything about the Elna, sorry.
    Last edited by momto5; 03-10-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: misspelled word
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I am partial to Vikings. However, I do agree that you should try each one before you make your decision. Also, please consider what is available in the way of support/classes. My favorite LQS sells Vikings and I know that they are always happy to answer a question regarding my machine. I will also say that they were willing to advise me (to the point that they were able) when I was still sewing on my old Singer. Find a dealer that you respect and go from there.

I'm in total agreement with Pam B. I love Vikings and having a good dealer to help you in the future is great. But you need to try the different machines and see what one you like best. Spend more than just a few minutes with each machine and really try it out.

Try them out and see which is best for you. I have the viking 140c and it is a wonderuful machine.

The others have definitely steered you in the right direction about trying the machines out and considering the availability of service, help, etc. I'm sure all three are lovely machines... please let us know what you ultimately choose!!

My pick is the Elna ..... I got one for Christmas .... and I could not be happier!!!!!
    It is beautiful, purrs like a kittten, has a HUGE HARP, and comes with loads of accesories with all the bells and whistles!!
    You can't go wrong!!!!

I don't have any of them. I'm happy with my Juki TL98QE and Babylock Jane. I only make quilts and do FMQ, all I need is a straight stitch machine and don't mind oiling them at all. I make 15-18 quilts a year and most are large quilts. Not many no - oil machines would last long like that.
    Try them all out and pick according to what you need/want. Good luck.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I would immediately rule out the Elna. Elna does not have a good reputation these days for sewing machines (although some of the vintage Elnas are gems!). Both Janome and Viking have great reputations.

I am a Janome fan myself but try them all and make sure you have a dealer who will be there for you when an if you need help with your machine.

Blog Entries
    I love my Janome...I agree with mic-pac regarding the dealer. For me a good dealer that will help me after I purchase is key...

Blog Entries
    I love all of my Vikings. If I couldn't have Viking then I'd go toward the Janome. I have a Kenmore made by Janome and it's runs really great. That's why Janome would be my 2nd choice.
    Judy

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'm going to go with the Viking. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by mamabearme View Post
    I'm shopping for a new machine, and have narrowed it down to 3. All of them are a huge step up from the Wal-Mart Brother I've had for 15 years.

The choices are:
    Elna eXcellence 740
    Be sure you have good support with whichever one you choose. I love my Babylock but it depends on what you want to do with it also. I do everything with it except embroider. Have fun!

The Janome Horizon is a 7700 -- I have it. The Elna 740 is based on the Janome Horizon. Janome bought Elna a few years ago and is making now making many of them in the same factory so I have hopes the brand improves. Janome also makes Brother machines.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Put out the extra money and get a Bernina! It is worth every penny. See if any 440s are still available from the dealer, or get their replacement, the 500 series. The BSR can't be beat, and the applique and know lift features are great. I know many Viking converts!

Blog Entries
    I vote that you buy one that is EASY to operate and that you don't have to crane your neck to see the needle
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

I don't quilt. I come here every day because it is like visiting my mom who did a lot of quilting. I have a viking for 25 plus years and have never had a problem with it. I made all my daughters school clothes and grand daughters clothes. I love my machine and if I get another machine it would be a viking.

You should sew on all three machines on your list. Decide what kind of sewing you are going to do, which machine has what you need. Theres always one machine that just 'feels' right when you sew on it.

Blog Entries
    they all sound like nice machines but the most important of all is the dealer you can't go wrong with a nice friendly one who is always there with help when you need it and be sure to check out the classes there is always so much to learn on a new machine good luck on your decission.

all three are great machines. after my eyesight went bad my dh got me a viking because it had a needle threader. now most machines have that. i love my viking - have a good dealer and good people who work for her. there is the key for me - buy from someone who is going to be there with support and help.

Lightbulb Check this out

Quote Originally Posted by mamabearme View Post

The choices are:
    Elna eXcellence 740
    Check out this site. According to the writer when you buy an Elna you are really buying a Janome, so I would narrow it down to the Janome or the Viking. Anyway if you are planning to spend $1000 or more - then you can't go wrong on either machine. It all depends on what you are most comfortable with.

http://www.evidently.org/2007/02/too-much-information/
    Last edited by GladGrams; 03-12-2012 at 04:17 AM. Reason: forgot to add site
    The quilt you see, is a part of me.
    In your hand is the sum of my parts
    My mind, my body and a piece of my heart.
    Wrap in it, lay on it, cry, and dream.
    It's made to help you know what love means.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast