Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which sewing machine would you pick?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mamabearme View Post
    I'm shopping for a new machine, and have narrowed it down to 3. All of them are a huge step up from the Wal-Mart Brother I've had for 15 years.

So, can you tell me which one you'd pick, and why? Thanks in advance.

The choices are:
    Janome Horizon Memory Craft 2700 QCP
    Elna eXcellence 740
    Husqvarna Viking Tribute 140C
    I agree with the others try all 3 out but I would go with Viking, I have had Janome 6000-11000
    The 11000 for the last 6 months I've had nothing but problems . In the that time I've used it all of 3 weeks. My sister has the viking I have used it & LOVE it.

Those are all good machines. I agree with everyone else here as to go and try them out and see just what each one is like to you. We all look for different things in a machine and what works for one of us might not work for you. You are the one who will use the machine and you have to enjoy it.

I had a New Home for 20 years and just recently purchased a Janome 6600. I'm very pleased with my new machine so far. I have never tried a Viking - kind of wish I had "shopped" a bit more - just because I'm curious now.

The Janome Horizon is a beautiful machine. On my wish list

I would research all the ones that you're interested in, and test drive all of them. I have a Elna Quilter's Dream and have been more than happy with it. I bought it used from a dealer, it had been a trade in. I do know that some machines have been recalled for various reasons, but don't know which ones or for what reason, which is why I say to research the brand and models.

I'd see on them all first before I decided.

I bought a used Bernina 1090 10+ years ago and we're still together. I tried out many machines before I found this one. None of them felt like the 1090. We get along beautifully.

I don't know about the Janome or Husqvarna, but I LOVE my Elna eXcellence! What a treat to use!

Blog Entries
    not familiar with these but have you looked at Babylock? They have wonderful features no other machines have. If you're looking for just a quilting machine, the Babylock Symphony is an excellent machine - cost around $1700.

But as others have mentioned, try them all out and see which one you like the best.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

I have several friends who have the Horizon and LOVE it!!! I have the Janome 6600. It sews beautifully too.
    Karen in Kentucky

I have no experience with these machines, but it might be worth knowing that my mom's Elna is still an excellent machine after more than 40 years. I don't know if they're still made to the same standards, but the company deserves some recognition for that kind of quality.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I have one viking from 1974 but don't use anymore it's too heavy going to sell in garage sale. I have 2 janome on is one step pd 200 and other is 6260 pd 900. I just put a new one for 900 on lay by it is comparable to my 6260 which I love. So I guess the Janome is for me

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    [QUOTE=mamabearme;5048291]I'm shopping for a new machine, and have narrowed it down to 3. All of them are a huge step up from the Wal-Mart Brother I've had for 15 years.

The choices are:
    Elna eXcellence 740
    I would try out the ones that you can get serviced in your town .
    It is a bummer to not have anyone to go to if you have a problem, question or need servicing. I have had 3 Vikings and love them but have friends that love their Janomes. I don't know anyone that has an Elna.
    quilting with my dogs

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    I don't know what I did, but sorry for all the weird entry above.
    quilting with my dogs

I think you will find the Elna and Janome are both the same machine I have an Elna and do love it most of the girls at my Quilt sit and sew have Janome's and I haven't heard a single complaint . I know nothing about Vikings. Good Pickin!

Blog Entries
    I have a Viking SE and have had it for over two years and I really like it, I just traded my Elna 7000 for a new Janome Horizon, and I have not used it enough to really tell you about it but I'm like all the other ladies and you should try out any of the machines you are interested in purchasing, and also try to get a dealer close to you that will work with you on any problems and they have classes to learn about your machine. One of my machine dealer is 30 minutes away and the other is 1 hour away, so I try to call ahead if possible for any help on the machines.
    GrannyQ

I'm a Janome gal.....sewing machine 6500, embroidery machine and serger...and I almose forgot...the Janome Jem.

I can't help you because I would like a new or used upper end machine, this just confuses me more. It doesn't take much to do that, though. The info is really helpful. My old Viking died on me a few months ago.

I have a Janome 6600P that I love. I also have a Husqvarna Viking Saphire 870Q that is a wonderful machine. I have never owned an Elna. Test drive all of the ones you are interested in and see which one best suits your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by grannylove View Post
    I don't quilt. I come here every day because it is like visiting my mom who did a lot of quilting. I have a viking for 25 plus years and have never had a problem with it. I made all my daughters school clothes and grand daughters clothes. I love my machine and if I get another machine it would be a viking.
    Stick around for a while, granny love. We will make a quilter out of you. lol

Blog Entries
    just bought a Janome 6600 Memory craft about 2 months ago and love it. I had and, still cherish, an old model Pfaff but the new 6600 has lots of bells and whistles.

I have an old Elna and it is a work horse and now have a new Janome and it is superb also. I would try to find one that offers classes too to figure out how to use all the new toys. I think that all would work excellent although I do love the Janome.
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by mamabearme View Post
    I'm shopping for a new machine, and have narrowed it down to 3. All of them are a huge step up from the Wal-Mart Brother I've had for 15 years.

The choices are:
    Elna eXcellence 740
    One of the first, and most valuable, lessons about sewing machines is.....the simplest models are the best ones for 99% of sewing requirements. I use most of the time a straight stitch and the rest of the time, a zig zag stitch. The rest are just unwanted decorations & extra unneeded cost (except for the buttonhole option when doing certain dressmaking/tailoring tasks-and that is very rarely needed). All my 3 machines are mechanical, with the minimal amount of stitches that were available at the time of purchase. And you know what? It is the skill of fabric knowledge, pattern manipulation, and of course a very dependable, well built, balanced stitch, sews most thicknesses of fabrics, sewing machine that will not die in the middle of a project is the most important "feature" of all. That is the real secret of my successful completion of the 2 quilts, the large rear bike panniers (the blue ones with the cat inside), and the little front bike bag adaptation pictured below. They were sewn by my little 3/4 size Janome Hello Kitty Model 11706 sewing machine. It is on sale at Target right now for just 100 dollars!

Though to make the above choice, I would go for the Janome Horizon Memory Craft 2700 QCP.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Bicycle Hobo; 03-12-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Personally I own 2 Janome's including a Horizon 7700 and a DC 3018 and love them both. I would reccommend making a list of the things that you most want or need in a machine and next I would find a dealer that you can trust. Try the machine out. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    Connie

I've had Elna's for 40+ years and was very happy with the 2 I had. I recently had to replace my Elna as they couldn't get parts for it. I looked at Janome and they were good machines (looked at the Horizon but was out of my budget). Have a friend that has had Viking for many years and loves it. I think all three are good machines, try them as much as you can before you decide. Consider price, service available?, warrenty etc. Then purchase and enjoy!!! I ended up with a Baby lock when I replaced my Elna and love it!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast