Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machines-t68081.html)

quiltsru 10-03-2010 12:38 PM

I have been reading you ladies talk about what sewing machines you like and don't like. I would like some advice about buying a sewing machine ( brother) at Wal-Mart. Which one would you recommend? I would like to be able to applique and I would like to have the buttonhole stitch and others. Could you help me out?

Scissor Queen 10-03-2010 12:50 PM

I wouldn't buy any machine from Walmart. If something goes wrong with it even if it's under warranty you're basically on your own.

There are tons of good sewing machine dealers all over the place. You're very likely to get way more machine for your money if you go to a dealer and check out their used machines.

Sadiemae 10-03-2010 12:51 PM

What is your price range? It looks on the website like they go all the way up to about $750.

Bobbin along 10-03-2010 01:08 PM

I agree with Scissorqueen--I definately would not buy any machine from WM. Usually, those "cheapo" machines are just that-cheapo little plastic machines that will last you maybe 3 months. My next choice would be an older (metal) machine from a garage sale for $20 or so. You haven't lost much if it doesn't work, but it probably will if you clean out the lint and put some oil on it. I would also recommend you try to find a quilter-friend to go shopping with you. You also can find some decent 2nd hand machines from sewing-repair shops or dealers. Good luck, and keep us posted on how you do! :lol:

sharon b 10-03-2010 01:39 PM

I have three Brothers all from WalMart - the 2125 is a 75.00 machine bought in a hurry as I needed to finish a dress and didn't have much extra cash- I consider it the work horse now :wink:

I have the Brother CS6000i bought offline( Walmart.com) - now down to about 150.00 works great have had it serviced once in 3 years - has 60 built in stitches and used the most :thumbup:

Lastly I have the Brother SE270D bought from the store - it embroiders :lol: The first one I had - had some issues after about 9 months - had the receipt took it back to the store, they gave me a new one no questions asked :thumbup: I use this machine only for the embroidery but it is a combo machine

SherryLea 10-03-2010 01:47 PM

My first machine was a Singer Ingenuty my husband bought me from Walmart. A real worker machine have had it 4 years never had a problem with it. It has 75 different stitches
and I have had it cleaned once in that time. The dealer tech said it was a great starter machine and in good shape. I now have a Babylock imagine serger and a Babylock Esante BLN embroidery/sew combo these too are great machines. I am sure the Babylocks will out last the singer but they are all running great now.

MommaDorian 10-03-2010 01:56 PM

I am currently using a Brother CS6000i I got from WM. This is my 2nd Brother from WM. I've never had any trouble with either of them. I had my first Brother last me about 15 years, I only sold it to upgrade to the 6000i.

lisainmo 10-03-2010 02:00 PM

I have the Brother cs6000i bought at WalMart and never had any trouble with it. I love it and does everything I need it to do.

CarrieAnne 10-03-2010 02:15 PM

I have seen a cute little portable one there. I dont have it, but if I had the money I wouldbuy it, because its tiny and lightweight!

Kitsie 10-03-2010 02:51 PM

I bought my Brother XR-7700 from WM and its been wonderful! Lots of fancy stitches and button holes. No problems so far.