Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: sewing machines

Blog Entries
    I have been reading you ladies talk about what sewing machines you like and don't like. I would like some advice about buying a sewing machine ( brother) at Wal-Mart. Which one would you recommend? I would like to be able to applique and I would like to have the buttonhole stitch and others. Could you help me out?

I wouldn't buy any machine from Walmart. If something goes wrong with it even if it's under warranty you're basically on your own.

There are tons of good sewing machine dealers all over the place. You're very likely to get way more machine for your money if you go to a dealer and check out their used machines.

Blog Entries
    What is your price range? It looks on the website like they go all the way up to about $750.

I agree with Scissorqueen--I definately would not buy any machine from WM. Usually, those "cheapo" machines are just that-cheapo little plastic machines that will last you maybe 3 months. My next choice would be an older (metal) machine from a garage sale for $20 or so. You haven't lost much if it doesn't work, but it probably will if you clean out the lint and put some oil on it. I would also recommend you try to find a quilter-friend to go shopping with you. You also can find some decent 2nd hand machines from sewing-repair shops or dealers. Good luck, and keep us posted on how you do! :lol:

Blog Entries
    I have three Brothers all from WalMart - the 2125 is a 75.00 machine bought in a hurry as I needed to finish a dress and didn't have much extra cash- I consider it the work horse now :wink:

I have the Brother CS6000i bought offline( Walmart.com) - now down to about 150.00 works great have had it serviced once in 3 years - has 60 built in stitches and used the most :thumbup:

Lastly I have the Brother SE270D bought from the store - it embroiders :lol: The first one I had - had some issues after about 9 months - had the receipt took it back to the store, they gave me a new one no questions asked :thumbup: I use this machine only for the embroidery but it is a combo machine

My first machine was a Singer Ingenuty my husband bought me from Walmart. A real worker machine have had it 4 years never had a problem with it. It has 75 different stitches
    and I have had it cleaned once in that time. The dealer tech said it was a great starter machine and in good shape. I now have a Babylock imagine serger and a Babylock Esante BLN embroidery/sew combo these too are great machines. I am sure the Babylocks will out last the singer but they are all running great now.

Blog Entries
    I am currently using a Brother CS6000i I got from WM. This is my 2nd Brother from WM. I've never had any trouble with either of them. I had my first Brother last me about 15 years, I only sold it to upgrade to the 6000i.

Blog Entries
    I have the Brother cs6000i bought at WalMart and never had any trouble with it. I love it and does everything I need it to do.

I have seen a cute little portable one there. I dont have it, but if I had the money I wouldbuy it, because its tiny and lightweight!

Blog Entries
    I bought my Brother XR-7700 from WM and its been wonderful! Lots of fancy stitches and button holes. No problems so far.

I also have the Brother CS6000i that I ordered from Walmart.com. I've never had a problem with it.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    At the prison, I have 4 - Brother 5000(something) Project Runway. These are over 3 years old. 2 are not working very well right now. They were $140.00 and have really held up well, considering we have probably put binding on 3000 quilts combined with them. AND, it's men who use them. They don't handle them with kid gloves like we ladies do. ☺

Blog Entries
    thank you so much ladies. I really appreciate all of the advice. I knew I could count on you for help.

QUILTSRU

I have a two Walmart sewing machines that is going on 12 years old with no problems.

Blog Entries
    Walmart machines:-
    I have 2 Brother CS6000i machines, my daughter has one, and BFF has one. I have sewn on all of them and had no problems.
    I also have the Brother 270D and have used it for embroidery and for sewing.
    No problems with it either.
    I bought my Singer serger at W-M too, and use it all the time, and never had a problem with it either.
    I keep all these machines clean, and they work fine.

When I set up my classroom I purchased 4 Brother 2125i's from Walmart, they worked great and I kept them until I upgraded. I sold one to a gal taking a class and the teacher was so impressed with it, she contacted me and purchased the other 3.

I recently recommended the CS6000i to the parents of one my summer students that want to get their daughter a machine for Christmas. I have heard nothing but good things about it. A few weeks ago I met a gentleman quilter who had purchased one from Walmart 2 years ago and liked it so much, he bought one for his daughter - can't get a better recommendation than that!

While it is true that if you buy a machine from Walmart, they will not take it back, you still have a valid warranty with the company of manufacture, be it Brother or Singer. You will have to return it directly to Brother or Singer but they will cover all servicing and shipping back, which is considerably cheaper than paying for the repair yourself. Just don't throw away the box and packing material!

Blog Entries
    I bought a Brother machine at Walmart. I hated it. It was almost 20 yrs ago though.

Blog Entries
    I highly recommend Brother machines from Walmart! they are user friendly, inexpensive, and will last a couple years giving you the opportunity to learn and save for a more expensive machine.
    we used to have a little sewing school, we used 5 brother machines from Walmart ranging in price from $89- $159...
    the cheapest one was the favorite! but they all held up to lots of abuse! it is a good start;
    some people believe these to be 'disposable' machines...i think of them as great starter machines. if you only sew a little bit, or are just starting out it is a great place to start. and in a few years if you find you have about worn your machine out it will be time to move up to bigger and better. but if you find in a couple years you seldom sew anymore, well, you are not out alot.

Blog Entries
    These 6000i and 270D machines that I have are now over 3-1/2 and 5 years old, and I sew on them daily. I have made many quilts including bed size as well as wallhangings on them, and embroidered several hundreds of projects. And have toted these machines along to class and sew-dates too often to count.
    Time has not shown a decrease in the function of these machines.
    I also have a Bernina 440QEE, and the Brothers have stood up just as well, with actually far more use than the Bernina. If I damage the Bernina, or if it needs servicing, I'm out a whole lot more money than would be the case for the "smaller" machines. Which are smaller of course, and a lot less monstrous to carry around.
    I keep the machines clean, and have no plans to "trade up" because everything I've wanted to sew has been accomplished on these lighter-weight, lighter-class machines.
    I guess they could be seen as disposable, because if I threw away all the ones I have now and replaced them all with new ones of same brand, I would still not spend what one "cadillac" sewing machine would cost, nevermind trying to buy all the extra feet and attachments for the expensive machine.

I have the Brother CS6000i from w-mart. Have had it a couple of years now and only serviced once (due to MY screwup). Lots of nice decorative stitches and automatic buttonhole sewing - worth a TON to me. I think the fact that it's a Brother brand is more important than where it came from. Good luck and happy sewing with whatever you ed up with!