Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing notions and other sewing room decor ideas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-notions-other-sewing-room-decor-ideas-t312147.html)

beckyboo1 08-16-2020 05:03 AM

sewing notions and other sewing room decor ideas

I'm finally getting my sewing room painted and I've recently acquired a table with shelves on either end. I'm looking for things to decorate with. I have an old sad iron already and I think i'll have some wooden spools to put in a (hopefully) vintage dish. Does anyone have other ideas before I hit some thrift shops and antique shops? This is going to be fun!

bearisgray 08-16-2020 05:14 AM

I think I would try to have "functional" items on "my" shelves - decorative, but useful.

Because - in my space, I have a lot of "stuff" - and "useful" is more important to me than "just to look at"

Do you have "others" that come into your space? Kids or pets? If these items are within reach of pets or kids, they should be non-breakable and non-injurious. The only things I can think of off-hand are large empty spools in plastic containers.

If you have lots of space and the chances of the items getting knocked off are small, then whatever suits your fancy.

craftiladi 08-16-2020 05:31 AM

I love hunting through thrift stores, you just never know what you might find.

sewingpup 08-16-2020 05:46 AM

Somewhere in the chaotic mess that is my sewing studio (whole house) is a pretty handmade fabric bowl made by me....that holds old sewing items. Like old wooden spools, old wooden crochet hooks and knitting needles, several old wooden darning eggs. I also have a collection of old sewing needle packets. The kind that were about the size of a card and held several different types of needle. I also have old hand made linens with various types of embroidery and needle work on them. I have an old crochet yarn tin...about size of a small coffee can with a lid on it with a hole in it. You placed the ball of yarn in the can and threaded the crochet yarn through the lid to feed you your yarn. I have seen people put old rag rug balls on display. I remember my grandmother stitching ends of strips of old clothing together on her treadle and helping her roll them up into balls. When we had enough of the rag balls, we would take them to a lady who would weave them into rag rugs...I think she charge $1,59 fir vert small ones, $3 for a small rug, and $6 for a hall rug. Have fun.

Iceblossom 08-16-2020 05:57 AM

I have limited display space but I have a little wall unit that has thimbles people have given me -- I don't actually really collect them. I keep my quilt pins on a bulletin board. I have a lot of different funky textile art things I've found at thrift stores, from a cool 60s pillbox hat, to cute 1970s girl scout?? type art piece on 70s calicos with a felt rainbow, to all sorts of other treasures.

The old type of large glass canning jars with the lids and the metal clamps are great for storing things like thread, you can see in clearly while keeping the dust and things out of it.

Onebyone 08-16-2020 06:05 AM

The Spirit Halloween store has the big scissors that look great on a wall.

juliasb 08-16-2020 06:12 AM

I have shelves on 2 sides for pictures and quilting related nick nacks. I have an older pincushion a string of wooden spools and I made a small shadow box with spools an old package of needles, and button hole scissors I use a larger letter "S" as part of the background and used a small vintage fabric for the background and front sides of the shadow box. I finished off the outside with 3 small fabric flowers that I dipped in decoupage to stiffen them. It gives a nice finish for the smaller vintage items.. The rest of my sewing room is full of other items so that limits the number of vintage items I can display. I wish I have a place to display one of my feather weights. Your iron is a great Idea.

Jordan 08-16-2020 08:24 AM

I have seen a plaque or sign on the Fat Quarter Shop wall when she does her live streaming and the sign says something like "Quilter Lives Here". We are getting a new Hobby Lobby in a few weeks in our town and I think that is where she purchased it. If you can find some little sewing machines, I think that would be cute displayed on a shelf in your sewing room. Good luck on your search

Tartan 08-16-2020 08:25 AM

Glass jars of pretty buttons look nice. I have some wooden blocks that I repurposed. They were Christmas blocks that spelled out PEACE, I printed out QUILT and used clear Mac tac to do the opposite side. They sit on top of my fabric cupboard. I also have a glass flower frog that holds a lots of my scissors. The points go into the holes and I have a bouquet of scissors on display.

oksewglad 08-16-2020 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 1 gallon pickle jars that keep my small homecut precuts in. Think 2" neutral squares, 9P's waiting for a new project.