Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing over pins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-over-pins-t52295.html)

TheresaP. 07-03-2010 01:39 PM

A couple of people have told me that the computer in a sewing machine can be messed up by anything magnetic that is too close to the motor. Anybody know anything about that?

Deborah12687 07-03-2010 02:05 PM

I do know that when I was sewing next to my microwave in the kitchen I got one heck of a jolt from the motor of my old Singer sewing machine. I saw the electrical shock...it was very blue. Computers next to a motor may cause the same kind of reaction.

Kas 07-03-2010 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by TheresaP.
I have looked at every pin out there. The only one thin enough to be safe sewing over (most of the time) is the blue flower one by Clover. There are several Clover pins of various colors. The only one safe because it's the thinnest is the BLUE.

I have a new Brother sewing/embroidery machine. Now there have been times when my needle has struck one of the pins. Usually the needle glances off of it, but every now and then the needle will actually bend the pin. I remove the pins most of the time when I get to them. But have "runover" them often too.

It's the blue flower one that I sent down into the feed dogs and through the race. They are so thin, they bend easily. Mine is almost bent all the way back onto itself!

patsyo56721 07-04-2010 03:59 AM

TheresaP That is what I have been told also.

Granny B 07-04-2010 09:34 AM

My Bernina is 26 years old and I always sew over pins - but carefully!

borntoquilt 07-04-2010 09:43 AM

Granny B - What older Bernina do you have? I've got an old 830 (which I LOVE!) and a Nova (next step down from the 830!) Both are over 30 years old and still going strong. I, too sew over pins but slow down or take them out before I get there. My DH laughs @ me cause I have 2 speeds for sewing) OFF and full blast....

TheresaP. 07-04-2010 11:46 AM

Yes, they are so thin that they do bend easily. But their thinness is why I think of them as the only pins I dare sew over.

I've often thought that perhaps it would be good for me to have stock in the Clover company. At the rate that I keep throwing hopelessly bent pins away and buying new ones, I've spent a good amount of hard-earned cash on them............

WickedTiff 07-04-2010 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by sidmona
I stopped sewing over pins when the needle hit one and sent a piece of the needle flying into my face.

I thought I was the only on that happened too... :oops:

sewgray 07-04-2010 12:10 PM

So if your machine is over 20 years old or you only use certain pins if a pin breaks and flies into your eye it won't put it out? Sorry but it sounds like that is what some are saying.

pegquilter8 07-04-2010 01:25 PM

Never sew over the pins. Bends your neeedles which can also bend the shaft in which the needle sits. Also you can break the needle and have it fly into many valuable places--your eye, or your machine. Nuff said!
Pin parallel to the seam, if not possible, pull out the pins as you get to them