Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing on a plane? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-plane-t216624.html)

DottyD 03-17-2013 12:10 PM

sewing on a plane?

I will soon be flying from UK to Texas on British Airways. Does anyone know if I can take an applique needle on board to sew a block during the flight ? Thanks !

loves_2_quilt 03-17-2013 12:12 PM

Contact your airline they will tell you what is allowed and what is not. Have fun and enjoy my home state of Texas.
D

QuiltnNan 03-17-2013 12:13 PM

i would check at the airline's site, but i believe that you can... the TSA just approved pocket knives with blades as long as 2 3/8", so a short needle should be allowed.

DottyD 03-17-2013 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt (Post 5934712)
Contact your airline they will tell you what is allowed and what is not. Have fun and enjoy my home state of Texas.
D

Thank you so much - we love Texas ! We are staying in Grapevine - have been before and look forward returning - and finding the fantastic Quilt Shops = Quilters Dream in Colleyville and Old Town Quilts in Keller !!!
Also thanks QuiltnNan - I think I will contact BA.

Nammie to 7 03-17-2013 12:42 PM

Shouldn't be a problem - scissors could be the issue.

DottyD 03-17-2013 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 5934765)
Shouldn't be a problem - scissors could be the issue.

I was thinking of taking the little box that dental floss come in - as it has the cutter !

MaryKatherine 03-17-2013 12:49 PM

It's not enough to simply ask the airline. Twice now, domestic and international, I have had no trouble leaving the country. The return is different. The customs/security check is not affliliated with the airline. It is in control of boarding in that airport. Twice I have travelled out bound with needles, sewing, scissors (yea you read that right) and hand knitting. It was attempting to board for the return journey everything was confiscated. Regardless of the airline rules, the security personel trump everything. So don't try to take anything you aren't prepared to lose.
MaryKatherine

quiltcentric 03-17-2013 01:22 PM

I've never had a problem taking a needle or two. If I'm doing applique, I try to take things already basted so I don't have to worry about pins. If you'll need to clip curves on your applique, Fiskars co. makes a round-nosed child's scissors that's available in the school-supplies sections of many stores that I've never had confiscated. And they're quite inexpensive, so no big loss even if they were taken.

Janelle

mary quilting 03-17-2013 03:57 PM

on US domestic I hand no trouble with needles or a small Scissors less than 4 inches. I don't know about international the last time I was out of the country was 2000.

spstout 03-17-2013 04:06 PM

I flew recently with hand sewing needles and blunt end scissors with no problems. Have a great trip!