Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: sewing on a plane?

sewing on a plane?

I will soon be flying from UK to Texas on British Airways. Does anyone know if I can take an applique needle on board to sew a block during the flight ? Thanks !

Blog Entries
    Contact your airline they will tell you what is allowed and what is not. Have fun and enjoy my home state of Texas.
    D
    When life gives you scraps, make a quilt.

Blog Entries
    i would check at the airline's site, but i believe that you can... the TSA just approved pocket knives with blades as long as 2 3/8", so a short needle should be allowed.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt View Post
    Contact your airline they will tell you what is allowed and what is not. Have fun and enjoy my home state of Texas.
    D
    Thank you so much - we love Texas ! We are staying in Grapevine - have been before and look forward returning - and finding the fantastic Quilt Shops = Quilters Dream in Colleyville and Old Town Quilts in Keller !!!
    Also thanks QuiltnNan - I think I will contact BA.

Shouldn't be a problem - scissors could be the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem - scissors could be the issue.
    I was thinking of taking the little box that dental floss come in - as it has the cutter !

Blog Entries
    It's not enough to simply ask the airline. Twice now, domestic and international, I have had no trouble leaving the country. The return is different. The customs/security check is not affliliated with the airline. It is in control of boarding in that airport. Twice I have travelled out bound with needles, sewing, scissors (yea you read that right) and hand knitting. It was attempting to board for the return journey everything was confiscated. Regardless of the airline rules, the security personel trump everything. So don't try to take anything you aren't prepared to lose.
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

I've never had a problem taking a needle or two. If I'm doing applique, I try to take things already basted so I don't have to worry about pins. If you'll need to clip curves on your applique, Fiskars co. makes a round-nosed child's scissors that's available in the school-supplies sections of many stores that I've never had confiscated. And they're quite inexpensive, so no big loss even if they were taken.

Janelle

on US domestic I hand no trouble with needles or a small Scissors less than 4 inches. I don't know about international the last time I was out of the country was 2000.

I flew recently with hand sewing needles and blunt end scissors with no problems. Have a great trip!

I always bring my small handwork tote with embroidery and tiny scissors in my carry on bag, and have never had an issue.,I don't leave the scissors out while flying, just tuck them in the bag for easy reach. If you ask, I am sure they would probably say no, but I have flown thousands of times with no issues.
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Quote Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
    It was attempting to board for the return journey everything was confiscated. Regardless of the airline rules, the security personel trump everything. So don't try to take anything you aren't prepared to lose.
    MaryKatherine
    Yes, this is the best advice ever!

Nail clippers would work for cutting the thread, just break off the metal file part first. My son flew with a carry on to basic training, and that is what he did to be able to take clippers with him, and had no problem with security, just be sure to remove the file part of it first.

I always take something to sew when I fly. The only problem I ever ran into was scissors. Get one of those pendant type things that you can wear around your neck to use as a scissors and you should not have any trouble.

They update the rules (daily it seems!) often, but I ALWAYS took sewing needles. I just tucked them into my change purse where they hung out with the pennies! Domestic rules say scissors with less than 4 inch blade> that included a pair of scissors I LOVE that I found at the dollar store. I had forgotten them in the bottom of a bad. They were measured and handed back. I was SHOCKED. They are the regular sized like Fiskars. In pinch I have used nail clippers..which you CAN have. My problem sewing when I fly is no elbow room. I have trouble hand sewing with my elbows tucked in at my side!
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Yes you can take the needle work on the plane. But do be careful as each country has its own rules.. so what you got on the plane in the US may not be allowed on the plane for the return trip. I have a small pair of folding scissors , blade no longer than 1/2 inch. These have made many flights with no issue. My mom on the other hand takes knitting.. no problem in the US , but one Country confiscated her needles when she was returning home .. so you never know.

Oh well - thank you all for taking the trouble to reply - but I have just rung British Airways and I am NOT allowed a needle on the flight !! What a shame - a 10 hour flight - back to word puzzles I guess !
    Thanks again !

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DottyD View Post
    I will soon be flying from UK to Texas on British Airways. Does anyone know if I can take an applique needle on board to sew a block during the flight ? Thanks !
    I flew from Minneapolis to Cedar Rapids two years ago and the stewardess made me put my needle away because if we crashed I would poke my eye out! I'll never figure that one out in a million years. Granted it was only a 1/2 hour flight, but I was just doing counted cross stitch! Edie

PS Have a safe trip!!!
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    Advice from a frequent traveler:
    You can take the needles and an embroidery frame, but don't try taking a pair of scissors! I have lost no telling how many pair that way, even though the websites of Delta, Lufthansa, British Air and others say you can carry a pair four inches long.

What is my solution? I carry fingernail clippers and do my best to get a really sharp pair to cut the threads.
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

Needles on planes.

I have recently enquired of British Airways regarding sewing on board. They do not seem to have a problem with it. On my last flight, the cabin crew were sewing! However, airport security will and you may well find that it is confiscated! The rules appear to change on a daily basis. I guess to challenge us dangerous quilters! I would contact airport security as well and ask them. You may be lucky! Have a good trip!

Blog Entries
    I would contact the airlines but, I recently flew from Fl. to Indiana and took embroidery needles and blunt scissors with no problem.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

I have sewn all over the world. There are things you can take, even right after 911. The 2" scissors are now OKl and even knitting needles. The only thing I was ever questioned on was my Point turner. I have made a sun bonnet sue and did Eleanor Burns' magic vine while traveling. I am now working on a Amish Letter Quilt and it is on its way with me to DC on thursday.

Yes, you can take sewing stuff on airplanes. Needles are not a problem and the U S allows short scissors (I think 3in) check the TSA.gov website and the website for the air carrier you are flying on for specifics. I usually take scissors that I would not mind losing if I get someone who wants to be tough on the rules. I have a scissor fetish and have some I am less attached to than others. Lol.... You can also take a thread cutter that Fons and Porter have that looks like jewelry. I know another company makes one also but am not sure of the name. Be sure to put in a zip lock bag and put it in the bin with shoes, coat, purse etc. In the Dallas area Waxahatchie and Granbury both have very nice quilt shops as well as Lewisville and Carrolton. Have a Great visit!

Check wit the airline. Last time I flew with Virgin to the states I was not allowed to take even a blunt cross stitch needle. Very boring flight to florida that was
    ​Jan

Well, I just got back from Texas on Southwest and had an appliqué needle, four pins and children's Fiskars scissors and no one questioned it. I went on to the TSA website before I left, and TSA said that you could take a crochet needle, which I did ( and I also printed the statement in case I was questioned) and it also mentioned that you could take small needles for medical purposes. I guess they were saying like insulin needles, but I was going to argue that I needed the needles for relaxation therapy if someone questioned me, but all the stuff went right through the scanners with no problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast