Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing on a plane? >

sewing on a plane?

sewing on a plane?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:26 AM

I've taken sewing with me on several long haul's to Australia but as yet it's never come out of it's bag. The plane is always at full capacity and I need elbow room! Perhaps if I could afford to upgrade it would be different but I'd rather have some fabric spending money! Thank goodness for the kindle - goes with me every where. Have a safe trip - look forward to hearing all about your shopping experiences.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by DottyD View Post
Thank you so much - we love Texas ! We are staying in Grapevine - have been before and look forward returning - and finding the fantastic Quilt Shops = Quilters Dream in Colleyville and Old Town Quilts in Keller !!!
Also thanks QuiltnNan - I think I will contact BA.

Welcome to the great State of Texas! You are a hop, skip, and a jump from me! Grapevine and Keller are practically in our backyard....or our front yard.

Great time of year to come to Texas. Warm but not hot, lots of sun. Have fun and buy lots of fabric!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 AM

When we flew in the US, they let me take my needles but took my small Gingher scissors and a short set of knitting needles. I would say it probably depends on airport security at each airport. I'm not sure if things have settled down at airports or not but I wouldn't take anything you don't want to give up. Have a great time in Texas.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:54 AM

Good one!
Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
On a recent trip to Peru, I didn't attempt to work on my GFG Hexes on the plane, but noticed the stewardesses were knitting with long straight needles in the galley. I guess they had permission. Why couldn't the rest of us knit also? I guess they were afraid we would knit an Afghan. Yuk,Yuk
Good one!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

This is what i do,i use new nail clippers to cut thread and weave a needle next to my fly.no one ever said anything. Of course ive only done this for jury duty, no one ever said anything.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:06 AM

Yes, you can. I sew on the plane all the time. The last time I went I accidentally left my seam ripper in my little travel sewing kit and it was not taken away from me. Just make sure that you don't take scissors!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:12 PM

When I am flying in the states I take my embrodery. Needles and childrens pair of scissors. Never had any problems.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:41 PM

Smile More Quilt shops to visit

Hello Dottie,

I am sure you visit Joannes in Grapevive for all sorts of supplies. As for Quilt stores...Quilt country in Lewisville http://www.quiltcountry.com/ and the Old Craft store in the main old town part of Carrollton http://theoldcraftstore.com/wordpress/ are also good shops to visit.

Also if you get a chance visit McKinney a lovely place to spend a day and yes another quilt store The Quilt Asylum. http://www.thequiltasylum.com/

I have stitched and crocheted on BA airlines before and it has not been a problem.I travel back home to N Ireland from Plano Texas every year or two. I wish you a safe trip and a great time in Texas. Ann
Old 03-19-2013, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by DottyD View Post
I was thinking of taking the little box that dental floss come in - as it has the cutter !
I think you can take small scissors, but you may want to double check that.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:08 PM

I too think it will be alright. However, I wouldn't take sissors on the plane. I used finger nail clippers. They are legal. It's just a bit short quarters for drawing your needle! I sure did it, I'd suggest taking your needles threaded if you use a very find needle, and silk thread. Even though they have an over head light, you can't make it shine where you want it.