Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Rooms - Organzied vs. Chaos (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-rooms-organzied-vs-chaos-t73197.html)

117becca 10-30-2010 08:44 AM

When i'm in the middle of a project, it tends to be messy....And i have been in the middle of projects lately. But, i am almost done w/ my current project - a dust ruffle for my bed. After that project, it is time to clean, vacuum and pick up all the threads and scraps. Eventually, I can't work in the mess & I'll have to clean. I'm about there :-D

My fabrics are organized and it's easy to see what i have. When i clean in the next week or 2, i'll post some pictures.

I hand quilt upstairs in my office, so no real mess there.

katied772 10-30-2010 08:51 AM

I wish I could be organized and finish one before going on to another. Unfortunately, I bore easily and have many projects going at a time and lots of fabric!

thequilteddove 10-30-2010 08:51 AM

I try to be organized. I kinda have to being where I'm an LA for a live'n. With that said, there are many occassions that is feels like a hurricane has hit. I become immobilized! I can't focus/function. That is when I stop everything and put things 'right'. Then the cycle starts again - putting things away as I use them, pick'n up after myself at the end of a session... slowly my resolve fades and before you know it, it looks like the world turned upside down.

The rest of the house stays 'reasonably' presentable HOWEVER the sun room, where I have my office & daycare, is usually a complete disaster and goes through the same process of my sewing area.

It seems the consensis is that a combo organized chaos lol

IrishNY 10-30-2010 08:54 AM

I am an organized person by nature and abhor clutter, so my sewing room is pretty organized most of the time. I also use it as my office, so tend to dump things in there during the week and it becomes more cluttered by the weekend. Today, I need to go in and put away fabric I bought this week while traveling for work, shelve library books I brought home, go through the mail for things that need to be taken care of and file the rest, that sort of stuff. It usually takes 15-30 minutes and then I'm back to a room I can function in.

It is kind of decorated. I have a stained glass lamp and several original paintings that I bought over the years and love. I want it to be a room I want to spend time in, but not too much decorating so that there is more room for functional.

I am learning to ignore the clutter during a project and just throw threads on the floor and push things out of the way to keep sewing. But when I am done, the OCD part of me takes over and I have to clean it back up so I can start over.

pieces 10-30-2010 08:56 AM

I am a very organized person. A place for everything, and evrything in its place. My fabric is sorted into metal bins that are hung in the closet, rulers neatly stacked. All my drawers are organized with containers. Each machine has its own set of drawers to keep bobbins, etc. separated. My machine embroidery thread is on a June Tailor thread rack hung on the wall. I also have a quilt and several pictures on the walls. The book case not only holds my books the top has several quilts
folded on top. My desk has the quilt pattern and notes on the project I am working on. The trash can is always used for threads and scraps as I sew. After each project I clean my machine, change needle if it was a big project. Clean up my pattern and notes. Wipe off my machine and sewing table, and vaccuum the floor. I then have a clean pallette when I am ready to start a new quitl/project. :thumbup:

luv-e 10-30-2010 09:04 AM

I use to keep it clean but since my sickness, not so much.
DH is suppose to work on more storage for me this winter,YEA!!!!
I have trouble not wanting to get rid of magazines!!!! I have way too many................:{.........

lalaland 10-30-2010 10:27 AM

Starting a project - organized - finished with the project - total uninhibited chaos. Then I clean up the mess and start all over again.

I actually have as much fun cleaning up the mess as I did making it, and the last time I cleaned up, I reorganized my fabric stash, which was a lot of fun!

SuziC 10-30-2010 10:33 AM

I like my room organized while it's waiting for me but while in the midst of a project it tends to get MESSY!

hazeljane 10-30-2010 10:51 AM

I'm a disaster. I have trouble organizing- it's a spacial organization thing. Trouble filing as well, since i had a stroke 10 years ago.

I want to be organized, but I have the equivalent of three jobs, and a half ton of fabric, and when I'm in the doing mode- all hell breaks loose. The fabric room ( a bedroom filled with rubbermaid totes of fabric) and the living room, which has a sofa, some other furniture, my machines and my frame in it, are right now awash in fabric. I can't see the sofa.

It's hard in some ways because I have so much vintage barkcloth- it's bulky and I often find bargains on things like slipcovers, so my fabric is not all neatly and consistently foldable. All different weights and shapes and sizes. And then there is the fusible fleece. arghhh!!!!

I periodically dig out, attempt to organize and start over, but it's never fully organized. Partly because I use two rooms which are in different parts of the house, and partly because I never put anything back.

Someday, I will have a studio with enough room and some organizational tools. My best friend is a professional organizer, but she is in Western Mass, and I am in Tulsa. damn it.

leaha 10-30-2010 11:18 AM

my studio room gets cleaned almost every day as I have to have a clean declutered room to work in.I can only have the project I am working on out, the other wips are all put away.And I move the furniture around several times a year.
Some day I will have a studio with all built in's so I can't spend so much time moving every thing LOL