Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Rooms - Organzied vs. Chaos >

Sewing Rooms - Organzied vs. Chaos

Sewing Rooms - Organzied vs. Chaos

Old 10-30-2010, 07:53 AM

I am new to this quilting forum and I'm curious there are so many people on this list!!
I am wondering how people organize their sewing rooms (or don't) so tell me (us) do you 1 - do you organize 2- do you have a method 3 - do you organize so your sewing room looks decorative 4- is your sewing room a mess and you just do not care :)

I try to organize and be decorative. I like my sewing room to be attractive - it is a small room so I can not have things packed to the ceiling. I am not a hoarder so I do not have boxes and boxes or bags and bags. I like to finish things once I start so I do not have large numbers of UFO's - in fact all of my projects are WIP (works in progress)

How about you? (this is my way of getting to know y'all)
Old 10-30-2010, 07:57 AM

I do organize from time to time, but no attempt to decorate. DH still has his desk and file cabinets in the room and part of the shelves are a library for all our books and stuff. I do love function over beauty, so as long as it looks acceptable and functions well, I'm happy.

We have recently done away with one computer and need to get rid of the computer desk. When that goes I will have to do some rearranging and put my new/old machine in. It will become much more functional then and I can have DD sew with me.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:03 AM

My sewing room is between organized and chaos. If I working on something, it could get kind of messy. That is the joy of having a private sewing room. If I'm hosting Bee here, I clean it up.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:09 AM

I'm an organized person. 90% to 99% of everything in my house is organized depending on the day. About the only thing in my house that isn't organized is my computer desk.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by karenfae
I am new to this quilting forum and I'm curious there are so many people on this list!!
I am wondering how people organize their sewing rooms (or don't) so tell me (us) do you 1 - do you organize 2- do you have a method 3 - do you organize so your sewing room looks decorative 4- is your sewing room a mess and you just do not care :)

I try to organize and be decorative. I like my sewing room to be attractive - it is a small room so I can not have things packed to the ceiling. I am not a hoarder so I do not have boxes and boxes or bags and bags. I like to finish things once I start so I do not have large numbers of UFO's - in fact all of my projects are WIP (works in progress)

How about you? (this is my way of getting to know y'all)
Try as I might to organize and/or decorate my work space, when it comes time to work on a project, all h--- breaks loose. Then I say..."awww, heck with it!" But, one thing I have to do though: organize my fabrics according to colors (in baskets).
Old 10-30-2010, 08:19 AM

I too try to stay organized. Important as I have a small sewing room. Quilting machine is in the living room. And I know its time to clean up and organize again when it all seems to overflow those two spaces!
Old 10-30-2010, 08:20 AM

my sewing room is organize but it only looks that way to me and its definitely not decorative.

its a working studio and the main function is to work and have a good flow not to look pretty.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:23 AM

I lived in Ft Worth for 9 months in the 80's..wish I had been into quilting then
My sewing room is always a mess. I would rather sew, if I have the time, than clean. But our guild wants to tour members sewing room. I don
t think I will sign up..it would scare them
Old 10-30-2010, 08:29 AM

I keep mine clean, nothing I hate more than a messy work area. I tidy up my sewing room in the evenings when I am done for the day. And a through clean up after the project is done.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:43 AM

I recently had my sewing room closet revamped. It was originally just a bedroom closet with folding doors. Took the doors and the clothes rod off and had a carpenter build shelves. I love it!! It's wonderful. I can see all my fabric neatly folded by color on comic book boards, the fat quarters stacked (also by color) and plastic bins storing kits, etc. on either end of the closet.
I'd love to send a picture, but haven't figured out how to do that yet.