Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Rooms - Organzied vs. Chaos >

Sewing Rooms - Organzied vs. Chaos

Sewing Rooms - Organzied vs. Chaos

Old 10-30-2010, 11:43 AM

Just about the only thing in my sewing room that's really "organized" is my fabric, I do pretty much know where everything is. My room isn't in the house so I don't worry about it being messy and truth be told, I'm not a neat organized person. Definitely don't decorate, although I do have a couple things that are decorative, but in actuality, they're just gathering dust. LOL
Old 10-30-2010, 11:50 AM

I have my sewing room organized, fabric sorted by color on shelves. I decorated on my design wall with wips and the other walls have doll quilts from the exchanges here on the board. I clean up after every project and sometimes in between, depending on how messy I get. My personal oasis. I love my sewing room! :-D :-D
Old 10-30-2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
I'm a disaster. I have trouble organizing- it's a spacial organization thing. Trouble filing as well, since i had a stroke 10 years ago.

I want to be organized, but I have the equivalent of three jobs, and a half ton of fabric, and when I'm in the doing mode- all hell breaks loose. The fabric room ( a bedroom filled with rubbermaid totes of fabric) and the living room, which has a sofa, some other furniture, my machines and my frame in it, are right now awash in fabric. I can't see the sofa.

It's hard in some ways because I have so much vintage barkcloth- it's bulky and I often find bargains on things like slipcovers, so my fabric is not all neatly and consistently foldable. All different weights and shapes and sizes. And then there is the fusible fleece. arghhh!!!!

I periodically dig out, attempt to organize and start over, but it's never fully organized. Partly because I use two rooms which are in different parts of the house, and partly because I never put anything back.

Someday, I will have a studio with enough room and some organizational tools. My best friend is a professional organizer, but she is in Western Mass, and I am in Tulsa. damn it.

Maggie...We need to talk <grin> We are kindred spirits! I am the messiest person. As much as I have always wanted to be Ms Susie Homemaker, it ain't gonna happen! You going with us to Kellyville next Friday?
Old 10-30-2010, 12:57 PM

I only have a sewing space, so it must be clean at all times when not in use. I find it like anything else, once you get in the habit of doing it...it doesn't seem like a chore.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:01 PM

Hi,Karen from Ohio....nice to meet you.I have to clean & make things neat before I can start a project.By the time I'm done, it's a mess.
I do know where most things are....if I look thru stuff,but the space is small, so after a while,I have to clean it up.In fact I did that yest.So I'm ready when my fabric order gets here.

There's nothing decorative in my room. Have one small pic,a few orphan blocks on the wall & one small window. Not that I notice. It's either pedal to the metal or go take a break for me. :-)
Old 10-30-2010, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Iluv2quilt
I have my sewing room organized, fabric sorted by color on shelves. I decorated on my design wall with wips and the other walls have doll quilts from the exchanges here on the board. I clean up after every project and sometimes in between, depending on how messy I get. My personal oasis. I love my sewing room! :-D :-D
This is me too...IN MY DREAMS! :roll:
Old 10-30-2010, 01:25 PM

I am semi organized, just have too much in too small of a room though, so I continually work on that. Just love having my own space, that I can walk out & leave, then come back & start where I left off again. That's the best part of it all!

For those of you, borned organizers, any tips or secrets you can share, I'm sure the rest of us would appreciate, lol...
Old 10-30-2010, 02:24 PM

I always have to reorganize after a quilt making frenzy. LOL
But I do seems to redo everything ever so often.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:28 PM

Organized? Only in my mind....and some days that's questionable!
Old 10-30-2010, 02:30 PM

Location: Live in Michigan, but I'm in Heaven when in my sewing room

Very organized. I love to organize. I have fun pictures on the walls and the closet is organized with lots of plastic bins. Pegboard on the wall holds all my threads, rulers and ect. I have a hard time working in a messy area. I also have a shelf unit to hold my fabrics. I have them organized by color, rolled onto small cardboard pieces, it almost looks like a quilt store.