Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing several layers on Janome 7700 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-several-layers-janome-7700-a-t176447.html)

annesthreads 01-21-2012 01:01 PM

sewing several layers on Janome 7700

Day 2 of my new Janome 7700, and mostly very happy. Just one problem so far: I was sewing 2 units of a paper pieced block together, and the seam started with several layers to sew through. The machine wouldn't do it - fabric just wasn't moving forward. I had to move the block along a fraction, and after that it was fine, and other bulky sections went through without a problem. This has happened twice now. I was using the O2 foot. Can any 7700 owner help with this issue, please?

Donna H-M 01-21-2012 01:35 PM

Are you using the acufeed system. That's what I do and haven't had any problems.

annesthreads 01-21-2012 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Donna H-M (Post 4896854)
Are you using the acufeed system. That's what I do and haven't had any problems.

No, I haven't tried that yet -will give it a go. Thanks.

Shelbie 01-21-2012 03:58 PM

My Janome 6500 does the same thing. My Bernina and my Husqvarna don't. I think it is just a Janome annoying thing.

Krisb 01-21-2012 11:02 PM

My Husqvarna did the same thing today, but I think part of it was the paper I was using was kind of slippery. Just hung up for about a second, went on with a little "help". It did get me to clean the entire machine and change to a new needle. :o

annesthreads 01-22-2012 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie (Post 4897262)
My Janome 6500 does the same thing. My Bernina and my Husqvarna don't. I think it is just a Janome annoying thing.

My little Featherweight doesn't do it either, so I'm more than a little surprised that the mega-bucks, 4-times-its-size Janome can't cope! But if this is the worst problem it has, I can live with it. Still have to try the Acufeed to see if that solves it.

Just Me... 01-22-2012 03:24 AM

Do you have your feed dogs up high enough?

annesthreads 01-22-2012 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Just Me... (Post 4898161)
Do you have your feed dogs up high enough?

Someone else asked that. It certainly feels as if they're just not able to pick up the fabric. I may go back to the dealer's in a few weeks, when I've compiled a list of follow-up questions, and that's one to ask.

DogHouseMom 01-22-2012 04:02 AM

I've had the same issue with my 6600 when I'm NOT using the accufeed system (when I do, no problem). I've also had it hesitate to feed (or need help) in the middle of a seam where there are bulky seams to rise over (again, only when not using accufeed).

Overall I love my 6600, but sometimes it's like driving a Lamborghini in the rain.

On the other hand I also have a Huskvarna (purchased when they were still made in Sweden), and it can feed pretty much anything I throw at it. Like driving a Volvo.

annesthreads 01-22-2012 04:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 4898192)
I've had the same issue with my 6600 when I'm NOT using the accufeed system (when I do, no problem). I've also had it hesitate to feed (or need help) in the middle of a seam where there are bulky seams to rise over (again, only when not using accufeed).

Overall I love my 6600, but sometimes it's like driving a Lamborghini in the rain.

On the other hand I also have a Huskvarna (purchased when they were still made in Sweden), and it can feed pretty much anything I throw at it. Like driving a Volvo.

I like your description! I need to try the bulky seams with the Accufeed on - if that works, fine.

My Mum has a 1968 Husky, solid steel, and, yes, very much reminds me of a Volvo! I had it serviced for her recently, and it's good as new. Here's a picture.