Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing table question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-table-question-t60346.html)

sewgirls 08-20-2010 04:22 AM

i have a sewing machine table ,but i like the 6 foot plastic one you can buy at sams or wall mart you have more room for your quilts

vivientan 08-20-2010 05:24 AM

I love the Arrow sewing tables, but some are too expensive. Envy you ladies who are staying in US as you have so many choices. I don't think I can ever find someone selling similar sewing tables here in Singapore. :( If I were to ship it over, it will cost me a bomb!

I'm currently sewing in my study using a normal study desk. Space is very limited but I try to make the best out of it.

melslove 08-20-2010 05:47 AM

Yeah, i was wondering about the insert, i don't think this model has a insert option. They have a bigger one like this and i think it does have a option for the insert, i am not sure if its for my machine or not, mine is just a small machine. Wonder if you can just cut a insert yourself out of plexi?

donnajean 08-20-2010 05:59 AM

I purchased my sewing cabinet back in 1996 from a Bernina dealer. There was a wooden insert which did not fit my machine, but they supplied a plactic one to fit my Viking Rose. There is a lip around the outer edges to hold it in place, so I think you need to be able to cut the plastic insert with some means of holding it in place.

Ask if this dealer has the service for providing the right size insert.

Originally Posted by melslove
Yeah, i was wondering about the insert, i don't think this model has a insert option. They have a bigger one like this and i think it does have a option for the insert, i am not sure if its for my machine or not, mine is just a small machine. Wonder if you can just cut a insert yourself out of plexi?

Aunt Doggie 08-20-2010 06:06 AM

I bought the inexpensive rolling sewing table at JoAnn's a few years ago...With a great chair from Staples that I just need to raise up a bit, it is right height! I put my foot peddle on the little shelf that is inside my table - it is up off the floor a few inches so it is just the right height with my chair raised up...
Think it was $49 on sale... It has sides that you can raise up and I leave them up and have a rolling cart under each side.
One on my right side has my sewing machine supplies and other has my embroidery machine supplies...
Has been the best 50$ spent!

dungeonquilter 08-20-2010 06:41 AM

I purchased a used sew cabinet that has a drop down shelf. It does not adjust for height except for down or up level. My DH made a wooden insert for me that fits around my sewing machine to fill in the space around my machine. Works great.

melslove 08-20-2010 06:57 AM

Thanks for all the help! I ordered it from walmart, they had it for $109.99 and if it happens i hate it when i get it home i can take it back, but I think I will like it.

Thanks again!

lots2do 08-20-2010 07:04 AM

Sorry, I saw this too late to help you with your decision.
I have it. I hated using it on carpet but now have it set up in a different room without carpet and it seems much better. I did put a folded up towel under the machine (to raise my machine to the proper level) when I lowered it into the cutout. It does vibrate a bit when I have my Janome on high speed but I seldom sew that fast anyway.
I have a plexi table that I am going to try to set on the top with some nonslip shelf material under it so that I don't have to get an insert.
lots2do

nellie 08-20-2010 07:07 AM

i had that table brought it on ebay, not very strong save your money and buy a better one ,i used my for awhile and gave it away

melslove 08-20-2010 07:14 AM

I did see a video on youtube that says you can adjust this table to the proper height for your sewing machine.