Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing table size - Pros and Cons & Configuration (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-table-size-pros-cons-configuration-t27484.html)

sdparent 10-23-2009 04:19 AM

I use a counter bar top with bookcases to hold it up. The bookcases do double duty as they are great for fabric & notion storage. A lot of time your local building supply store will have the bar or countertops in their bargain barn and can be purchsed reasonable if you're not picky on colors. I fin they work better than a dropleaf tabe which tends to be shaky. Good luck in your search for the perfect sewing table.

Rachel 10-23-2009 05:12 AM

I used to use a cubicle work station (corner and one long side) that was fabulous for tight spaces because I could set my sewing machine at the angle and then I had a ton of space behind the machine for the quilt. My hubby mounted it to the wall, so it didnt' move at all, was great till I wanted to move my sewing room to another area of the house and the table wouldn't fit... This will give you considerably more depth than a standard counter top. Hope this helps.

Deb watkins 10-23-2009 06:40 AM

I had been placing my machine on an older desk, open where I sat and three drawers to the left. I found as I needed to cut, I was alawys banging my knee on the drawer section. I had a 5 ft. x 2 table in the garage, brought that down and put the older desk on the other side of it. To my left, I have a 4 x 3 ft glass table top on a metal frame that I use as my 'cutting' table. To my right, I have a small table which holds my threads, accessories and such, plus has a 18 x 18 padded space for quick pressing. Since I have a swivel chair on wheels, I can turn around and press as the ironing board - put to chair height, is behind me. This whole area is probably not more than 8 x 12.

kapatt 10-23-2009 07:14 AM

Quiltgranny, I really like having calm, balanced rooms too. I can't sew unless the distractions items are put away and just my sewing items are in front of me.
I try to keep the room balanced but also have it convenient for my needs.

MadQuilter 10-23-2009 08:07 AM

I had a HUGE kitchen table in mine and all my goodies fit at once. Of course it was a hot mess on there. Moving around the room was a challenge (due to the improper butt-to-walking space ratio lol)

So I scaled down and got an IKEA desk top with tri-pod-like feet. It is really a table that can be angled (29x59) and .....it still holds all my stuff and it is a hot mess. As soon as I had the sewing machine on it, I realized that that table was NEVER going to be tilted. The stand are toe killers because they stick out too far and I had a damp towel on it the other day (can't remember why) and the laminate lifted.

So I am going for plan C - another IKEA desk from the GALANT line with a solid wood top. I think it's 34x63 or thereabouts and it's legs are slightly angled. I'm hoping they won't be toe killers or knee bangers.

Now I just have to find time and space to clean the mess and exchange.

amma - I think your idea of a built-to-fit table is fabulous.

Quiltgranny 10-23-2009 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter

So I am going for plan C - another IKEA desk from the GALANT line with a solid wood top. I think it's 34x63 or thereabouts and it's legs are slightly angled. I'm hoping they won't be toe killers or knee bangers.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that has had to try multiple "solutions" til I find something that finally works for me! :wink: Would you mind showing me a link or pic to this "Plan C" desk? Thanks so much and best of luck to you on this one! Thanks for sharing. :)

Quiltgranny 10-23-2009 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel
I used to use a cubicle work station (corner and one long side) that was fabulous for tight spaces because I could set my sewing machine at the angle and then I had a ton of space behind the machine for the quilt. This will give you considerably more depth than a standard counter top. Hope this helps.

Do you possibly have a pic of that set up? We just happen to have some cubicle parts out in our garage! What are the chances of that? :shock: Thanks so much! :)

Quiltgranny 10-23-2009 08:38 AM

Sounds like you have a really nice set up, Deb. I sure do understand the knee banging issue as I'm currently experiencing that myself with one of my sewing tables! :cry: :evil: Sewing/quilting should not be so painful :!: Happy sewing! :)

Quiltgranny 10-23-2009 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by sdparent
I use a counter bar top with bookcases to hold it up. The bookcases do double duty as they are great for fabric & notion storage.

I thought about that, but I'm having a hard time finding bookcases that aren't too tall. How tall are yours? Thanks.

Quiltgranny 10-23-2009 08:41 AM

Hi Olivia's Grammy,

Wow, 20 x 20' sewing room. :shock: I've only dreamed of that kind of space. I'm so glad you have that and are enjoying it. Staying well organized is key, no matter what the size of our creative areas. Thanks so much for sharing.