Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing your blocks/rows together (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-your-blocks-rows-together-t248840.html)

linda faye 06-22-2014 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6769638)
It appears several of us sew our tops together into squares, then bigger squares....to me known as the Mary Ellen Hopkins "Twosie-Foursie" Method. This cuts down on the amount of seams you have to abut in rows across the quilt, which, indeed, makes the quilt fit better, squarer.

Jan in VA

Jan, thank you! I didn't understand the twosie, foursie method until I saw your illustration. This is totally new to me! Sure could have used it when I made that huge king size comforter!

citruscountyquilter 06-23-2014 03:00 AM

Thanks Jan. I always enjoy your posts and learn so much.

KarenJ 06-23-2014 05:22 AM

I divide quilt into four and sew together in sections. Saw this suggestion here. Makes lining up much easier and only requires sewing one long seam.

mjhaess 06-23-2014 05:40 AM

I do mine the way you do and it works great...

Mariah 06-23-2014 06:09 AM

I hadn't thought of alternating rows, but will try it soon. I learned a good way to be sure your blocks line up perfectly, and learned it here on the qb.
Baste the blocks together with big basting stitches. It really holds them in place well, and not nearly the 'taking out.'
Mariah

katesnanna 06-23-2014 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6769638)
It appears several of us sew our tops together into squares, then bigger squares....to me known as the Mary Ellen Hopkins "Twosie-Foursie" Method. This cuts down on the amount of seams you have to abut in rows across the quilt, which, indeed, makes the quilt fit better, squarer.

Jan in VA

Once again Jan gives excellent information. This is how I do my large quilts as it makes them easier to handle.
I too learned this from Mary Ellen. Thanks Jan.

Barbpr 06-23-2014 07:28 AM

I chain piece my tops. I sew column 1 block 1 to column 2 block 1, then chain piece column 1 row 2 to column 2 row 2, then column 1 row 3, etc the length of the quilt. Now you have column 1 and 2 chain pieced together. Then I add column 3. So...take the column 1 and 2 section and add column 3 block 1 to the top, column 3 block 2 next, etc.
I do this for the entire quilt and you end up with a completely chain pieced top. I now know which way to press the seams and they match up! If for any reason you mess up, just stitch near the end of the oproblematic one and keep going. If this makes no sense or you want a diagram, let me know and I will try to draw it out. This method has helped me make straighter quilts!

Grannyh67 06-23-2014 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 6768432)
Me, too. Some patterns it just works better to sew vertically than it does to sew horizontally.

Love your remark about the quilt being like life, this is so true.

bibi 06-23-2014 07:42 AM

Jan,
Thank you for your self-explanatory and concise instructions. Your a gifted teacher, who uses technology and knowledge exquisitely. I do appreciate your comments and suggestions. Thank you indeed!

Rhonda Lee 06-23-2014 11:19 AM

I chain piece mine in columns causing a web effect. I don't need as many pins in doing it this way and the seams match up easier for me. Bonnie Hunter has a tutorial on her website on how this is done. My other method has been the same as Jan described. Both method have served me very well.