Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing your blocks/rows together (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-your-blocks-rows-together-t248840.html)

just_the_scraps_m'am 06-21-2014 04:36 PM

Sewing your blocks/rows together

When you sew your blocks together, do you sew them across or do you make rows up & down? I find myself sewing blocks together across first. Then I sew the second row all the way across. When I come to the last row, I go back to the first & sew it to the second all the way across, etc....This way, it is easier to "nest" the seams.

I've also heard that the first row you are supposed to sew left to right, then the next row right to left, but I've never followed that...it works out ok--

how do you sew your blocks/rows together? [I realize this method won't work with bargellos]

Quiltngolfer 06-21-2014 04:40 PM

I sew mine together the way you do most of the time in order to nest the seams. I tried sewing the columns together, but I didn't like that as well. I sew each row left to right.

Jingle 06-21-2014 05:02 PM

That is how I sew my blocks together. Works well for me. When using sashing I sew them to every other row, then sew the ones in between to those.

citruscountyquilter 06-21-2014 05:38 PM

It depends on the pattern. I usually do rows together but on my avatar I did columns because I needed to see the pattern come together.

When I am sewing strips together I sew first one way then the other way on the next rows so they don't go wonky but when sewing rows of squares together I don't think that's necessary because you are nesting the seams which keeps things more true. If you are doing sashing it is easy to get it going wonky from some stretching. If you are sewing a long strip of sashing you should treat it like a border by measuring your row or column and then dividing it into at least fourths, make your sashing the same length, divide it into fourths and match those points. I would then sew the other side of the sashing in the opposite direction. It is very hard to avoid all stretching when you have a long piece of fabric.

Jeanne S 06-21-2014 06:46 PM

I sew the blocks and rows together like you do except I do try to alternate sewing the full rows together left to right and then right to left.

Nammie to 7 06-21-2014 06:50 PM

I sew blocks into sets of two going across the rows. Then take the top two blocks and sew them to the next row to make sets of 4 blocks. I continue sewing in that manner and end up only having to sew one long row together. Makes my life much easier!

GailG 06-21-2014 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer (Post 6768210)
I sew mine together the way you do most of the time in order to nest the seams. I tried sewing the columns together, but I didn't like that as well. I sew each row left to right.

I do the same.

cathyvv 06-21-2014 07:22 PM

Me, too. Some patterns it just works better to sew vertically than it does to sew horizontally.

Terri D. 06-21-2014 08:25 PM

Most of the time I sew blocks together in horizontal rows, but for one quilt, I sewed the blocks together in vertical columns, then sewed the columns together because it was much less work to do it that way.

Evie 06-21-2014 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 6768397)
I sew blocks into sets of two going across the rows. Then take the top two blocks and sew them to the next row to make sets of 4 blocks. I continue sewing in that manner and end up only having to sew one long row together. Makes my life much easier!

This is how I do it.