Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewline Pencil or Fons & Porter Ceramic Pencil? Pls. weigh in. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewline-pencil-fons-porter-ceramic-pencil-pls-weigh-t192695.html)

anita211 06-26-2012 05:02 AM

I use the Sewline and love it. I have had no problems removing marks.

Steady Stiching 06-26-2012 05:14 AM

I love my Bohn

jac 06-26-2012 06:09 AM

F & P Keepsake.

Originally Posted by LynnVT (Post 5314180)
Just yesterday I went to Keepsake Quilting in New Hampshire looking for a marker to use on a black background quilt. Since F&P own the store now, there was a great selection of their stuff. Someone told me once before those are great markers, but they cost about $15. I bought a different brand for about $3, since I rarely need a white marker.

I didn't know that F & P bought out Keepsake Quilting. When did that happen?

ghostrider 06-26-2012 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by jac (Post 5317879)
I didn't know that F & P bought out Keepsake Quilting. When did that happen?

Keepsake Quilting and her three sister shops weren't purchased by Fons & Porter, they were purchased by New Track Media, LLC...who also owns QNN TV, all the 'Original Sewing and Quilting Expos', multiple quilting and scrapbooking magazines (Quilters Newsletter, McCall's, F&P, Quiltmaker, etc), Quilters Club of America and a pile of other stuff. They are the largest crafts media business in the United States...after only 6 years.

The Keepsake founders retired and sold the business to The Riverside Company in 2000. New Track Media acquired it from Riverside in 2007. If you haven't noticed changes by now, it probably won't make much of a difference now that you know about it. :)

New Track Media's list of products. http://newtrackmedia.com/product.html

ETA: Rob O'Brian, the 'boss' at Keepsake since 2004 is still the 'boss' at Keepsake...and a member of this message board, as is the store manager.

cmw0829 06-26-2012 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by LynnVT (Post 5314180)
Just yesterday I went to Keepsake Quilting in New Hampshire looking for a marker to use on a black background quilt. Since F&P own the store now, there was a great selection of their stuff. Someone told me once before those are great markers, but they cost about $15. I bought a different brand for about $3, since I rarely need a white marker.

Fons and Porter owns the store? So sad that a small business can't stay independent these days. Now I know why I was getting Fons and Porter related emails from KQ.

But to answer the question, I've used the F&P pencil and like it. I bought a pack of the gray leads to interchange when needed.

cny_sewer39 06-26-2012 09:05 AM

I have not used any of them. Sorry. I will be following this thread.

Have a blessed day.

debra

burchquilts 06-26-2012 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Freddie (Post 5314163)
I use F & P, white and grey. Love them.

Me, too. Of course, I think all of F & P's tools are awesome.

ghostrider 06-26-2012 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829 (Post 5318273)
Fons and Porter owns the store? So sad that a small business can't stay independent these days. Now I know why I was getting Fons and Porter related emails from KQ.

Read my post above yours. Fons & Porter does NOT own Keepsake Quilting; both are owned by the same mega-company and have been for many years.

cmw0829 06-26-2012 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5318657)
Read my post above yours. Fons & Porter does NOT own Keepsake Quilting; both are owned by the same mega-company and have been for many years.

Thanks for pointing that out, Ghost. I missed that post.

Handcraftsbyjen 06-26-2012 05:45 PM

I'd choose Sewline or Bohin. Fons and Porter I don't like at all. Try writing your name with each one and see what one you like best. Writing your name is a good way to try out any pencil or something to write with while quilting.