Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sharpen a Seam ripper ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sharpen-seam-ripper-t143481.html)

mandyk 08-07-2011 07:08 PM

That was supposed to be "instant stitch resolve" typo!

mandyk 08-07-2011 07:09 PM

DESOLVE. It's late

Leota 08-07-2011 07:11 PM

Maybe try a fine emery board? File away from the curve ... I mean really, they had to be sharpened in the beginning....

jean1941 08-07-2011 07:33 PM

Do search on sharpen a seam ripper and it gives a lot of ideas

dreamer2009 08-07-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by mtspools
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHH
MMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

DITTO !!

Barb44 08-07-2011 07:45 PM

Ask your husband if he has a knife sharpening stone or a fine metal file. Those will work.

akisan 08-07-2011 07:48 PM

I use my emery board and it works great for me. Try it before you buy another seam ripper.

MsEithne 08-07-2011 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Does anyone know if this can be done ? I have worn out 3 in less then 2 weeks :shock: LOL Yea I know that's a whole lotta ripping going on :roll:

Maybe we should have a contest to see who can wear out one the quickest :wink: Just kidding - but I hate to throw these away seems so wasteful .....

Here is what I was taking apart

Oh, I admire you for making that decision to rip all that work and do it better!

Maybe because I like to live on the dangerous side but I use a disposable surgical scalpel to rip with. There are various shapes; I use a #12, the one that has a convex (inward) curve. One of the intended uses is to remove sutures.

Yes, if I'm not careful I go right through the fabric. Only did it once, 40 or so years ago, and never did it again.

The advantage of a disposable scalpel is that it cuts right through the thread with almost imperceptible effort and gives me great control. The blade is so thin that I can slide it between two pieces of fabric sewn together and take out just a part of the seam.

When I start to notice any effort at all to cut the threads, I put that scalpel into my sharps container and get out a new one. They do stay sharp for quite a long time and quite a lot of ripping.

Disposable scalpels are cheap, cheap, cheap! They're about $0.40 apiece (come in boxes of 10 or 25).

sharon b 08-07-2011 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by MsEithne

Originally Posted by sharon b
Does anyone know if this can be done ? I have worn out 3 in less then 2 weeks :shock: LOL Yea I know that's a whole lotta ripping going on :roll:

Maybe we should have a contest to see who can wear out one the quickest :wink: Just kidding - but I hate to throw these away seems so wasteful .....

Here is what I was taking apart

Oh, I admire you for making that decision to rip all that work and do it better!

Maybe because I like to live on the dangerous side but I use a disposable surgical scalpel to rip with. There are various shapes; I use a #12, the one that has a convex (inward) curve. One of the intended uses is to remove sutures.

Yes, if I'm not careful I go right through the fabric. Only did it once, 40 or so years ago, and never did it again.

The advantage of a disposable scalpel is that it cuts right through the thread with almost imperceptible effort and gives me great control. The blade is so thin that I can slide it between two pieces of fabric sewn together and take out just a part of the seam.

When I start to notice any effort at all to cut the threads, I put that scalpel into my sharps container and get out a new one. They do stay sharp for quite a long time and quite a lot of ripping.

Disposable scalpels are cheap, cheap, cheap! They're about $0.40 apiece (come in boxes of 10 or 25).

Where do you find them ? Sounds interesting

sharon b 08-07-2011 08:32 PM

I tried a nail file but couldn't get it into the tiny curve :cry: No hubby so no help there - BUT do have a super, wonderful Daddy - so maybe he has something small enough to get in there ?

Thanks for all the suggestions - since I have three dull ones I can try different things and let you know