Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharpen a Seam ripper ?

Blog Entries
    Does anyone know if this can be done ? I have worn out 3 in less then 2 weeks :shock: LOL Yea I know that's a whole lotta ripping going on :roll:

Maybe we should have a contest to see who can wear out one the quickest :wink: Just kidding - but I hate to throw these away seems so wasteful .....

Here is what I was taking apart

wonky plates
    Name:  Attachment-238165.jpe
Views: 214
Size:  53.1 KB

the pile of pieces
    Name:  Attachment-238166.jpe
Views: 203
Size:  84.0 KB

Blog Entries
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHH
    MMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Hi Sharon, I don't have the answer but those fabrics are sure pretty!!
    Bring on FALL!!!!!!!! :D:D

Haven't done it but I would try a needle file if I were going to attempt to sharpen one. If you don't already have one it'd be cheaper to buy a new ripper. Hmmm. Maybe a knife iron would work? Good luck, maybe someone has experience with this.

I"ve taken a fine emery board to mine before.. it was shot anyway so, I didn't figure I had anything to loose... it seemed improve it.. but it was short lived..

I'll be following to see if anyone has any good idea...

Nice

Blog Entries
    LOL I will let you know once I start on my next project... I have a feeling I will be getting to know my new ripper very well :D:D:D

Knife sharpener??

bkb
    i wonder if foil paper would do it like for scissors.

Can't we invent instant stitch resolve? We'd make a fortune!

That was supposed to be "instant stitch resolve" typo!

DESOLVE. It's late

Maybe try a fine emery board? File away from the curve ... I mean really, they had to be sharpened in the beginning....

Blog Entries
    Do search on sharpen a seam ripper and it gives a lot of ideas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mtspools
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHH
    MMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    DITTO !!

Ask your husband if he has a knife sharpening stone or a fine metal file. Those will work.

Blog Entries
    I use my emery board and it works great for me. Try it before you buy another seam ripper.

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Does anyone know if this can be done ? I have worn out 3 in less then 2 weeks :shock: LOL Yea I know that's a whole lotta ripping going on :roll:

Maybe we should have a contest to see who can wear out one the quickest :wink: Just kidding - but I hate to throw these away seems so wasteful .....

Oh, I admire you for making that decision to rip all that work and do it better!

Maybe because I like to live on the dangerous side but I use a disposable surgical scalpel to rip with. There are various shapes; I use a #12, the one that has a convex (inward) curve. One of the intended uses is to remove sutures.

Yes, if I'm not careful I go right through the fabric. Only did it once, 40 or so years ago, and never did it again.

The advantage of a disposable scalpel is that it cuts right through the thread with almost imperceptible effort and gives me great control. The blade is so thin that I can slide it between two pieces of fabric sewn together and take out just a part of the seam.

When I start to notice any effort at all to cut the threads, I put that scalpel into my sharps container and get out a new one. They do stay sharp for quite a long time and quite a lot of ripping.

Disposable scalpels are cheap, cheap, cheap! They're about $0.40 apiece (come in boxes of 10 or 25).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MsEithne

Oh, I admire you for making that decision to rip all that work and do it better!

Maybe because I like to live on the dangerous side but I use a disposable surgical scalpel to rip with. There are various shapes; I use a #12, the one that has a convex (inward) curve. One of the intended uses is to remove sutures.

Yes, if I'm not careful I go right through the fabric. Only did it once, 40 or so years ago, and never did it again.

The advantage of a disposable scalpel is that it cuts right through the thread with almost imperceptible effort and gives me great control. The blade is so thin that I can slide it between two pieces of fabric sewn together and take out just a part of the seam.

When I start to notice any effort at all to cut the threads, I put that scalpel into my sharps container and get out a new one. They do stay sharp for quite a long time and quite a lot of ripping.

Disposable scalpels are cheap, cheap, cheap! They're about $0.40 apiece (come in boxes of 10 or 25).
    Where do you find them ? Sounds interesting

Blog Entries
    I tried a nail file but couldn't get it into the tiny curve :cry: No hubby so no help there - BUT do have a super, wonderful Daddy - so maybe he has something small enough to get in there ?

Thanks for all the suggestions - since I have three dull ones I can try different things and let you know

Quote Originally Posted by MsEithne
    Where do you find them ? Sounds interesting
    I have a friend who is a vet and I buy a box from her when I get close to running out.

If you do a Google on "disposable scalpels for sale" you'll get lots of hits to choose from. You can even get them through Amazon.

It isn't only doctors and veterinarians who use scalpels; they're used in sculpture, drafting, graphic arts, I even saw my electrician use one. So there are plenty of customers and hence plenty of suppliers.

I broke 3 in one week last winter

Blog Entries
    I must be doing something wrong. I have a Fons and Porter, ergonomically designed seam ripper and bought it about five years ago and I am still using it.

I make more mistakes than anyone here on the board. I don't understand why mine doesn't dull! And I do a lot of ripping! Well, not a whole lot, but I am sure a lot more than some of you.

Here is my thought on it. Someone had to make money on the invention of a seam ripper. We are helping them out? Remembering that only God is perfect, He planned for us to be able to use a seam ripper and He made sure that because we all love quilting so much that it would be designed as an inexpensive item that wouldn't send us to the poorhouse like a sewing machine can. Can't do without either one. So it is just like my handy dandy little orange stick that is about 65 years old (honest) that I use to push seams through! Cheap and effective!!!!!

Happy Ripping, Quilters!!!! Edie

you can cut sandpaper with it and see if that helps, what have you get to lose?

Blog Entries
    I didn't think that was possible. Break the point or ball off, but Wear Out, never heard of that. That is a lot of ripping, LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast