Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Shoccked (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shoccked-t76912.html)

dforesee 11-17-2010 09:22 AM

4 or 5 baby quilts... oh my, I could make 4 or 5 "dozen" baby quilts. It is downright shameful, but to my credit, I did stop buying about a year ago unless I just have to have something not found in my stash that I am going to use "immediately."

quiltluvr 11-17-2010 09:24 AM

I've got more than enough to keep me busy for a very, very long time. It still doesn't stop me from adding more. I'm about at a standstill because my storage shelves are packed and I don't want to store it in bins where I can't see it. So I need to get busy and make something---big.

Gramakitten 11-17-2010 09:25 AM

I only buy fabric that I know will not go out of style. Civil war, thirties, black/white red white. I am in three exchanges and have not had to buy a single peice of fabric yet. I am a sucker for kits. I have probably 50 kits or more. But I am only working 5 more days this year and only 4-5 days a month next year. Plan on making a lot of it up into quilts. We'll see.

ckcowl 11-17-2010 09:26 AM

it is kind of shocking to find that fabric multiplies like rabbits! :)
i take a 2 yard piece of fabric, cut some strips for borders...fold whats left...ok, still one piece of fabric, then i figure hey that will work well with these blocks...cut this peice and that piece and now i'm putting away 6 left-over pieces...then i'm working on an applique, and take on of those 6, cut out my appliques and have 4 new pieces left over....so that one piece of fabric is now 9 pieces of fabric....so if my quilt has 10 different fabrics in it by the time i'm done i have 90 pieces adding to my stash......it's vicious! :) as far as i know there is no available birth-control! if you cut it it makes more :)

kbs 11-17-2010 10:26 AM

I have that problem. See a bright pretty print and bring it home but when I go to use it have nothing to calm it down. Got a lot of those so maybe just go to the quiet fabric rack?

ann clare 11-17-2010 01:58 PM

I do not consider it a problem. It is a luxury. Enjoy.

CompulsiveQuilter 11-18-2010 04:14 AM

I used to work as the Quilting Department manager at Joann's. I wouldn't even let the girls roll up the remnants until I looked through them. I have probably 4 thousand less-than-one-yard pieces. But all organized. My sewing machine sits where I have a view of my beautiful shelf full of these fabrics. BUT NO MORE! The last several quilts I have made were made from only what I have in my stash and from swaps. (except the backs.) Feels good to have it; feels good to use it.

Becky Crafts 11-18-2010 05:49 AM

Living in a motorhome I have to be careful how much stash I have, but in our house I had tons! LOL!! Had I been able to keep it, I'd probably have had enough to last many years. It was traumatic having to give it up! DH only let me have one box the size of a case of printer paper. A friend gave me a big bin of scraps she didn't want last year & I've so far made 6 quilts from it & have barely made a dent! I'm having such fun though!!! :-)

OmaForFour 11-18-2010 06:30 AM

WOW! Quiltville.com has wonderful free patterns! Thanks for directing us there!

Originally Posted by Mariposa
Check out www.quiltville.com for some great scrap patterns! :)

Lori S 11-18-2010 06:31 AM

Shocked no !! Guilty of way too much.. YES ! I just finished three "scrap" quilts , thinking it would clear out a bit .. NOPE , it barely scratched the surface ... Literally.
But it is my indulgence! This year I will work to decrease the "inventory" , this will require serious self control. I made a deal with myself that I would take the money not spent on fabric and use it for longarm services.