Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: Shoccked

  1. #1
    Senior Member nikki128's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bellmore, NY
    Posts
    515
    Is anyone else ever shocked to discover the amount of fabric you have? I have some yardage. However, most of my fabric is 1/2 yards and smaller. I decided to press and organize my scraps (which to this point have been in a laundry basket. I am really shocked at how much I have I could prob make 4 or 5 baby quilts with them. Now, I just need to find some patterns and make time to sew more !

  2. #2
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Nikki, I'm over the shock by now! lol
    Working on de-stashing as I type!
    But today is so beautiful out I may
    not get in my room that looks like
    a bomb hit it! :D

  3. #3
    Power Poster Mariposa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    27,258
    Check out www.quiltville.com for some great scrap patterns! :)

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rachel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    918
    only 4 or 5 baby quilts??? you need to go shopping. tee hee

  5. #5
    Super Member janRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    western Pa
    Posts
    4,602
    You can never have too much! After reading that fabric prices are going to increase again after the first of the year, I'm thinking I may have to get just a few more pieces. I only have enough now to last me until the year 2025 LOL.

  6. #6
    Senior Member nikki128's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bellmore, NY
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    only 4 or 5 baby quilts??? you need to go shopping. tee hee
    I need to convince my husband of this one LOL !

  7. #7
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I have a two tall laundry hampers full of scraps. I am using those to do Bonnie Hunter's mystery this month. Her patterns work with all scraps as long as there is contrast in the colors.

  8. #8
    Super Member Maggiesmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    2,013
    Blog Entries
    1
    LOL, I think I could make a quilt a month for the next 10 years and only put a dent in my stash. I really feel ashamed sometimes; but I do like my fabrics.

  9. #9
    Super Member hobo2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Boonsboro, MD
    Posts
    2,723
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have made 11 quilt tops so far this year just out of my stash and still have plenty left.

  10. #10
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    I make twin size quilts out of my scrap stash. I've made 7 twin size quilts out of my scrap stash. It's down to 6 file size boxes. I could probably get another 3 or 4 out of the scraps pretty easy. But that'll have to wait until I get more stuff in progress done.

  11. #11
    Super Member AnnaK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco Bay area
    Posts
    1,446
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have been working on cleaning up my stash and have made lots of pillowcases for Kids and other charity quilts. I still have more than I can use in the next couple of years. Someone referred to this as SABLE - Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy!

  12. #12
    Super Member Shelbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,954
    I have learned that I bought and acquired far too many busy prints. Before I really got into quilting, I would buy fabric just because I liked it and I usually bought at least two or three metres. They're great for focus fabrics or for a back but I had a serious lack of co-ordinating fabrics. I just didn't realize that those quieter, somewhat boring (to one who loves colour and design!) tone on tones, marbles and almost solids in light, medium and dark were essential fabrics for a quilter. Since I have retired, these are the only fabrics I have purchased. I have not yet really gone through my stash and culled some of these bright and usually medium or dark prints that I have in abundance. That may happen as my small sewing room is very crowded and I am almost to the point of admitting that I have too much fabric. When the lids won't fit on the largest Rubbermaid containers that they make and you have over 20 of these bins, you do have a lot of fabric! Right now, I'm still considering but I think some fabric sharing is in my future.

  13. #13
    Super Member Katrine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,815
    A couple of months ago I got all mine out to fold it using the ruler for neater storage - and I counted up the yardage - and was amazed just how much I'd accumulated. It's made me resolve to try and use stash instead of buying for a while!

  14. #14
    Super Member amandasgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    La Pine Oregon, USA
    Posts
    5,911
    Oh, yeah, I was shocked, too. Decided I'd make scrappy quilts to get rid of the load --- have made 3 now and have MORE fabric than when I started!!!!!! :mrgreen:

  15. #15
    Love my stash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Northern Minnesota
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    You can never have too much! After reading that fabric prices are going to increase again after the first of the year, I'm thinking I may have to get just a few more pieces. I only have enough now to last me until the year 2025 LOL.
    Are we related??? ...........LOL 8-) :roll:

  16. #16
    Love my stash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Northern Minnesota
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    I have learned that I bought and acquired far too many busy prints. Before I really got into quilting, I would buy fabric just because I liked it and I usually bought at least two or three metres. They're great for focus fabrics or for a back but I had a serious lack of co-ordinating fabrics. I just didn't realize that those quieter, somewhat boring (to one who loves colour and design!) tone on tones, marbles and almost solids in light, medium and dark were essential fabrics for a quilter. Since I have retired, these are the only fabrics I have purchased. I have not yet really gone through my stash and culled some of these bright and usually medium or dark prints that I have in abundance. That may happen as my small sewing room is very crowded and I am almost to the point of admitting that I have too much fabric. When the lids won't fit on the largest Rubbermaid containers that they make and you have over 20 of these bins, you do have a lot of fabric! Right now, I'm still considering but I think some fabric sharing is in my future.
    Just send me a PM when you're ready to destash girl.....LOL. Like I need more fabric!!

    :roll: :lol: :roll:

  17. #17
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    14,916
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    only 4 or 5 baby quilts??? you need to go shopping. tee hee
    Exactly what I was thinking!!! That's all!!! Honey you still have a ways to go before you have too much!!!!

  18. #18
    Super Member MrsM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hoosick Falls, NY
    Posts
    2,093
    Quote Originally Posted by nikki128
    Is anyone else ever shocked to discover the amount of fabric you have? I have some yardage. However, most of my fabric is 1/2 yards and smaller. I decided to press and organize my scraps (which to this point have been in a laundry basket. I am really shocked at how much I have I could prob make 4 or 5 baby quilts with them. Now, I just need to find some patterns and make time to sew more !
    I made a promise to myself that I would use as much fabric as I could up before buying more. I broke that promise when "Quilter's Quarters" had a buy 7 yds get 7 free sale. So I am now sewing every free minute I get. :roll: :oops: :-D

  19. #19
    Super Member PegD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,167
    Blog Entries
    4
    That's what I was thinking.

  20. #20
    Super Member SuziC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    3,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariposa
    Check out www.quiltville.com for some great scrap patterns! :)
    I just checked it out...that is a great site..thanks

  21. #21
    dforesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    308
    4 or 5 baby quilts... oh my, I could make 4 or 5 "dozen" baby quilts. It is downright shameful, but to my credit, I did stop buying about a year ago unless I just have to have something not found in my stash that I am going to use "immediately."

  22. #22
    quiltluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lost in a quilt shop :-)
    Posts
    1,353
    I've got more than enough to keep me busy for a very, very long time. It still doesn't stop me from adding more. I'm about at a standstill because my storage shelves are packed and I don't want to store it in bins where I can't see it. So I need to get busy and make something---big.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    688
    I only buy fabric that I know will not go out of style. Civil war, thirties, black/white red white. I am in three exchanges and have not had to buy a single peice of fabric yet. I am a sucker for kits. I have probably 50 kits or more. But I am only working 5 more days this year and only 4-5 days a month next year. Plan on making a lot of it up into quilts. We'll see.

  24. #24
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,331
    Blog Entries
    1
    it is kind of shocking to find that fabric multiplies like rabbits! :)
    i take a 2 yard piece of fabric, cut some strips for borders...fold whats left...ok, still one piece of fabric, then i figure hey that will work well with these blocks...cut this peice and that piece and now i'm putting away 6 left-over pieces...then i'm working on an applique, and take on of those 6, cut out my appliques and have 4 new pieces left over....so that one piece of fabric is now 9 pieces of fabric....so if my quilt has 10 different fabrics in it by the time i'm done i have 90 pieces adding to my stash......it's vicious! :) as far as i know there is no available birth-control! if you cut it it makes more :)

  25. #25
    kbs
    kbs is offline
    Senior Member kbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    888
    I have that problem. See a bright pretty print and bring it home but when I go to use it have nothing to calm it down. Got a lot of those so maybe just go to the quiet fabric rack?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.