Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-give-lap-quilt-my-new-hairdresser-t172204.html)

Tallulah 12-19-2011 07:21 PM

It is too early to gift her or her child with a quilt. I really don't think that she is expecting one.

MrsH2008 12-20-2011 11:52 AM

I think that if you want her to have the quilt you should give it to her. I don't think it's a matter of how much is in it monetarily. And who knows what this could mean to her and her daughter. Just because she isn't a sick child I a hospital doesn't mean she doesn't deserve the quilt. She has her own struggles. Every single parent does. And isn't Christmas about the spirit of giving?

charity-crafter 12-20-2011 12:50 PM

If you really want to, but I would't myself. If you had a relationship with her that included being friends outside of her doing your hair or you'd been going to her for years then I'd do it.

But it really is up to you, what your heart is telling you. many times strangers or near strangers appreciate more.

katz_n_kwiltz 12-25-2011 10:18 AM

no, I wouldnt give a lap quilt to a new haidresser, get to know her first, then you can find out what she likes/dislikes, then do something nice for her. but dont make her one right off, that sets the bar too high, next year she may expect something, and you may not want to do it again for her. personal preference.
katz

KerryK 12-26-2011 09:23 PM

Wouldn't this sort of take away from it being a real Christmas "gift?" A gift is something you give because you want to, it's from the heart, without a dollar figure attached, without wanting something back ... at least, that's why I give gifts. I give because I want to give, and expect nothing in return. Jeanne is obviously a very giving person. I think this reply, as we say in the south, is just plain tacky.

Originally Posted by Macie (Post 4791867)
Maybe what you can do is give her the quilt for Christmas and maybe or tell her that the quilt would also be included as a tip for the entire year. That way you do not have to tip her each time you go get your hair done or a massage. Good luck

Cybrarian 12-27-2011 06:19 AM

Pt 1 to those who say "I never give my hair stylist a gift" educate yourselves in the etiquette of people who regularly provide you services (don't forget your lawn man unless you use a large company with many employees and you don't have a regular person). Pt 2 You heard longing in her voice. That suggests no one has ever given her a handmade gift. If you would consider giving away one of your quilts to a cause that would pass it on to a stranger then I would give her one. You can add a note or tell her in person "I don't normally give large gifts to people I do business with, but my heart kept telling me you and your daughter will have some great times together snuggling under this so I want you to have it and enjoy some special time together." let's her know it won't be an every year thing, but that You are recognizing her & her daughter as special this year.

KerryK 12-27-2011 08:27 PM

OK - I know you said you were going to give her the quilt. I am dying to know her response ... and your response to her response! My bet is that she was thrilled! Please let us know! :)