Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I quit or just give away. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-quit-just-give-away-t307538.html)

Stitchnripper 10-21-2019 10:35 AM

I make quilts for people sometimes and am happy to gift them. I am not a high volume producer and right now enjoy the ones I make. One day they will all get donated.

Jordan 10-21-2019 11:35 AM

I make a lot of quilts but never sell any. I just make for family. I donate fabrics to a friend and once in awhile our little sewing group gets together and we make bibs for folks in nursing homes. It is a fulfilling feeling.

Onebyone 10-21-2019 11:39 AM

Do you make quilts to sell quilts? If so then that is a business and you need to use business tactics to sell. A yard sale approach won't work very long as you are experiencing that now. Donating and giving a quilt is a wonderful thing I wish everyone could hear Jenny Doan's talk on this subject. Tears flow!

Jannie 10-21-2019 06:27 PM

First, most of my quilts go to charity. I have made quilts for family, friends, and myself. I have made a few quilts on special request that I was paid for. I did not start quilting to make money but because of an interest in doing so.
Second, If you can sell quilts and make money, more power to you. I say do what makes you happy.

sewingsuz 10-21-2019 06:37 PM

I have given quilts I made to friends and family, I made some children quilts to the children's hospital. I have given baby quilts as a baby shower gift. I don't make that many but do love the hobby. I think I only sold one throw size quilt.

cashs_mom 10-21-2019 06:38 PM

I only make a few quilts a year. I keep some and give some as gifts. I use a quilt on my bed and have several in the den upstairs. I love quilts! I love making them and I love the way they feel when I'm snuggling under them with the dogs.

katiebear1 10-22-2019 07:10 AM

Wow you all are really generous. I only make a few a year and I keep most of them. I don't have a large family but everyone has a quilt I made. I only make ones that I like. I think if I had to make one to order I wouldn't enjoy it.

nlgh 10-22-2019 07:35 AM

Growing up, getting the presents was the important thing. As an adult the getting became less important and now the giving is more fun and fulfilling than the getting. So I would probably gift them to a hospital or organization that needs that needs quilts to the hurt and/or needy. I would feel more blessed than the recipient. Go with your heart.

charmednmissouri 10-22-2019 10:42 AM

Every one I have made has either been given to a family member, was a quilt of valor for a local veteran, or made for a special occasion. I plan to make a couple to donate to our school for a raffle this year :shock:

wildyard 10-22-2019 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 8315907)
Giving away is as much my joy as making a quilt. I'd rather know that someone is immensely touched or comforted or happy with my quilt than to receive what, inevitably, would not be enough money to pay for the time I put into it.

Very well said and I agree completely. I make mostly comfort quilts which I donate in my community. I gives me a purpose and brings joy for many, including myself.