Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I teach my husband to quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-teach-my-husband-quilt-t177706.html)

Wanabee Quiltin 01-31-2012 05:28 PM

I think this is a fabulous idea. My DH does not quilt, but he does have a good eye for color and he helps me coordinate my blocks from time to time. He is a very gentle person when it comes time to critique my quilts and he gives me good ideas. I so wish he would learn to quilt, but he likes cars etc. Encourage your husband and it will be a wonderful bond between you.

GagaSmith 01-31-2012 05:29 PM

If he's interested I'd say go for it. Maybe you could convince him that the "Best" things to do are binding and basting. I would borrow him any day if he liked those things.

barny 01-31-2012 05:30 PM

If he's interested go for it. Or maybe he's just proud of you and how good you are at what you dol Love him for it. Barny

d.swindle 01-31-2012 05:32 PM

I think that is a great idea,my DH worked with me on my first quilt,it was a( star of the ozark ) quilt ,the center star had to be apliqued, he did twelve of the fifteen and I must say,he appliques better than I.
d.swindle

karenpatrick 01-31-2012 05:32 PM

Let him decide.

susie-susie-susie 01-31-2012 05:41 PM

A friend of mine (not a quilter) got her husband to take a wood carving class at their local Senior Citizen"s Rec. Center. His work is absolutely gorgeous. I wish I could get my husband to do that. I don't think I would want to share my quilting notions or my fabric with my DH. He would have to get his own.
Sue

KnitnutBZ 01-31-2012 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4930387)
Personally...I would never want to share my space, my hobby, etc. with my husband. Not that he'd be remotely interested. I think people need their OWN hobbies and a little space both emotionally and physically from their spouse. He needs something but WHY does it have to be quilting? Find him something to do that's HIS.

I surely wouldn't do it especially if you want your own space and independence. My DH has no hobbies and I wouldn't want him taking over my sewing room. It's MY SPACE!!!!

valleyquiltermo 01-31-2012 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4930387)
Personally...I would never want to share my space, my hobby, etc. with my husband. Not that he'd be remotely interested. I think people need their OWN hobbies and a little space both emotionally and physically from their spouse. He needs something but WHY does it have to be quilting? Find him something to do that's HIS.

I very much agree with Candace & KnitnutBZ

SuzanneG 01-31-2012 05:46 PM

Personally, I wouldn't like it. My quilting time is just that - my time. We do a lot together as a family, and I love socializing and being with people, but I definitely need some alone time every single day and most of the time I get that in my quilt room.

But, if you and your hubby would find it enjoyable to share that time together, then I say go for it!:)

MasonsDad 01-31-2012 05:47 PM

I would say it's a bad idea because he might become a machine hog, but as a beginner myself I have to say go for it. I have just begun to learn myself and so far I love it. I feel like I get to spend more time with the family and at the same time it gives me something to keep my hands busy and at the same time I get a great since of accomplishment when I finish a project.
Chris